Long Term Tackle

Guest Elton

Originally posted by Adrian:

My Mitchell Match is over 20 years old and with servicing works like a dream, I have come across nothing that can hold a light to it for long range float fishing, does anybody else have a one touch bale arm system?

Mitchell Match gets my vote here - mines 20years + and I still rate it better than most of the new reels I've bought recently. Only problem is that it is slightly heavy - but then I've got big arms! (I can just hear the replys coming now........)

On a serious point - anyone know of where I can get a the Mitchell serviced to include a new lick of paint and for what cost? - the original is peeling off and corrosion seems to be creeping in.

Andy

Adrian.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bikenut

Didn't the Mitchell 300 lay the line in the opposite direction to most other reels. I remeber having one in the early 80's along with a 410 and not getting along with them for that reason. I replaced them with a pair of Cardinal 44's which were still going strong apart from weakening drags until this year when I bought a pair of baitrunners.

Bikenut

Guest bikenut

Didn't the Mitchell 300 lay the line in the opposite direction to most other reels. I remeber having one in the early 80's along with a 410 and not getting along with them for that reason. I replaced them with a pair of Cardinal 44's which were still going strong apart from weakening drags until this year when I bought a pair of baitrunners.

Bikenut

Yep bikenut, you're right.... twice wink.gif

The spools between my 300A and 324 would be interchangeable except for that small detail frown.gif For some reason I find the balearm on the 300 easier to use, even though there shouldn't be any real difference between the two.

------------------

John S

john@go-fishing.co.uk

ANMC Wossname - Get the best out of fishing, join today.

Guest bikenut

John,

Wasn't the 324 a "budget version", with plastic parts here and there, or am I thinking of a different model. I'm pretty sure I started my spell with Mitchells on a 324 (after Intrepid Monarchs, Regents and a Prince Regent). I don't remember the spools being as tall on the 324 as on the 300/410/match series.

What were the cheap reels that sold for £1.00 and were coloured metallic pink or blue, with the wire sprung bail arms???

Bikenut

Guest bikenut

John,

Wasn't the 324 a "budget version", with plastic parts here and there, or am I thinking of a different model. I'm pretty sure I started my spell with Mitchells on a 324 (after Intrepid Monarchs, Regents and a Prince Regent). I don't remember the spools being as tall on the 324 as on the 300/410/match series.

What were the cheap reels that sold for £1.00 and were coloured metallic pink or blue, with the wire sprung bail arms???

Bikenut

mine's not reel's or accessorie's There fishing rod's which are Shakespeare were a International rod which lasted me about 20 yr's also an abu conolon graphite tape wrapped carp rod both of which i used till last year when i was persuaded to sell them to a young angler who needed some decent rod's cheap.

------------------

Cheer's Larry

Guest courtone

Reading about the Mitchell Match reel's reminded me I still have a Mitchell Ottomatic, (it has a one finger dab bale arm)which I think was the model before the Match. If I remember right it cost about £8/17/6 around the early to mid sixties. I must dig it out and have a look at it sometime.

Cheers.

------------------

courtone

Originally posted by bikenut:

John,

Right again, there is a lot of plastic on the 324, which is also physically smaller than the 300. Just by looking at them, I thought the spools were interchangeable too, but no, they're not

[This message has been edited by John S (edited 28 November 2001).]

Guest chesters1

i briefly had a mitchell 300? that had a half bail i VERY soon bought a real one ,still got my best centerpin that was given to me when i was seven the drum turns 90 deg to make casting easier ,my uncle saw me stuggling with a wooden starback and took pity.