Naming fish, mainly carp.

Guest Gaffer

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

Sam,You do me a great dishonour in thinking that I would refer so disrespectfully to some ones friend in that way.

confused.gifas an outsider to this conversation, it would seem that ill feeling is being created by the fact that tone of phrase cannot be easily recreated in text. if someone has taken offence to a post, wouldn't it be better to say "sorry" instead of insisting on the respect and honour from someone you wanted to cast to a far bank with one arm missing?

it is a bit like that army advert - taking off your sunglasses can diffuse a potential riot! try and get your head round that after seven pints...! eek.gif

Guest Scott.Ashworth

Alan,

it may be a british thing but it's certainly being picked up by our continental colleagues. I don't know if you get to read Carp Talk over in Holland but Alijn Danau, the very succesful Belgian carp fisherman, regularly writes reports of his fishing, nearly always speaking of named fish. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with it but a bit of originality would be nice,

------------------

Ashy

Bazza,as regulars here know I hold very strong and some times cotroversial views on a lot of angling subjects.I never shy away from discussing these views.All are based on a lot of experience.This obviously does not mean I am always correct!However I think it is important to have some knowledge of a sublject before commenting authoritively on it.In the previous banter between myself and Sam it has always been light hearted.However this time Sam mistakenly took one of my comments the wrong way.I am sure that when he looks back at the relevant posts he will see this and be somewhat embarrassed.I take the **** all the time and therefore accept that I have to take my share in return.However when it comes to the dissrespecting of a dead friend(and possible offence to his friends and family) who can not set the record straight.Then I feel that the fun must stop and things be put straight.The problem here is not a case of misinterpretation but simply not having read correctly all the facts before posting a reply.Any way at 6'plus (which is quite big for a ten year old) I am sure that Sam can defend himself!

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

The problem here is not a case of misinterpretation but simply not having read correctly all the facts before posting a reply.

after reading the posts *again* (as i too do not like walking into something unprepared) i think my point is still valid. i could not (in this instance) tell what your tone was when you posted your reply. it didn't *seem* very jovial...

the icons help, but cannot always reflect exactly the way something is intended. sam may know what you mean after the countless rounds of banter you have had in the past, but there would be some (myself included) who may pick up on the wrong end of the stick and see the words for what they say, not how they are said.

it is an open forum, and i can 'stick up for' whoever i like, especially when it is one of my good friends and fishing buddies...! wink.gif

Guest Paul Selman

Budgie and Chris.

What would you think of a fellow who strummed his guitar and sung loudly whilst carp fishing, lit fires, caught wildlife and roasted them on his fire by the lake, and washed it down loudly with copious amounts of alcohol?

Who also is heavily involved in the tackle trade, receiving regular income from it?

You wouldn't like him would you?

Dick Walker...just another crap yob! biggrin.gif

Let's get it right!!!

Guest Graham E

No need to Lie....That one. Mr Arsley?

He's still alive then?

[This message has been edited by Graham E (edited 27 November 2000).]

Guest **sam**

budgie, no problems at all mate. victor did indeed eat a lot of fry ups, alas it was probably those that finished him off.

i didnt read about yours and mr mcneils (that is the steve you refer to?) adventures with vic. were they in coarse fisherman?

sorry i got the wrong end of the stick (branch, tree?) no offence taken to the living or otherwise.

i seriously appreciate the banter going about, its all light hearted fun, after all, its only fishing! the sport needs people of a certain calibre and mentality to be outspoken and forward thinking.

as for naming fish, im sure all aquarium owners have names for their pets. after a fish has been caught several times, surely to some it must be like a pet?

one of the greatest misnomers is mary, a male fish. a fish victor indeed caught several times before liberation, before it had a name even!

keep it real!

**sam**

Hi Sam yes the same Steve.Vic and Steve fished a couple of times with me and a mate called Garry.We always had a great laugh.He often made reference to this in his articles in Coarse Angler(Coarse Angling?) not Coarse Fisherman.A great guy and as you said sadly missed.

I am glad you brought uo the subject of named Cats.Claydon was the only place I fished for Cats that did this.No doubt due to the fact that the fish were caught so many times over the years.I never found this to be demeaning as this was the very nature of Claydon,Fun!Out siders ie the Angling press obviously thought it did though.Many times when the "Brown One" was caught they did not even consider it news worthy(even though at the time it was one if not the biggest Cat in the UK).They thought its capture was of no note but I know a lot of Claydon regulars who were never lucky enough to land this cracker,myself included.Maybe it was the naming of this fish which lead to the press's attitude?This does not appear to happen to Carp or does it?

[This message has been edited by BUDGIE (edited 27 November 2000).]