Advice needed please :)

ali123

Hi new to this site and was just wanting a little advice. Having carp fished for so long this year I have decided to do more course fishing for alot of other species, so I have decided to buy myself a n avon rod (1.25 tc), with quiver section and three push in tips ( 1,1.5,2.),. I was wondering with this rod for example if i didn;t want to use the quiver section would it be possible to use the rod with light bobbins and bite runner etc for maybe tench? also if using a loaded feeder what is the best way to land on the same spot,even after catching a fish?, one more question :lol: , could the avon top be used as a float rod, thanks in advance ali :)

I use quiver tips all the time with light bobbins for perch, works fine. Whats a bite runner though?

When using a feeder or any weight you can use the line clip on the reel to accurately cast out repeatedly.

Yes i don't see why you couldn't use a quivertip for float fishing, i've never tried it but i see no reason why you shouldn't. If fishing for roach and small fish the soft tip might actually help when striking.

hope this helps, dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

not too clued up on avon section to be honest. done all my tench fishing last year with quiver tip and bait runner(bite runner ?) and hair on a bolt rig and imo was a very pleasurable experience and very effective :)

dave i think he means bait runner which is a switch to allow fish to peel line off the reel without the need to loosen the drag or disengage the bail arm. bait runners have their own secondary drag too, seperate from the main drag for the spool its self.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ali. I've got a very similar rod (Drennan series 7 1.25 TC with quivers and avon top). I've used it for tench fishing using a bite alarm/baitrunner with the avon top and it is great. In fact I've done exactly what you describe for tench (clipping up and casting maggot feeders to same spot repeatedly). A 1.25lb one is also the perfect chub legering rod with the quiver on. I've not tried float fishing with it as its only 12ft and I have a 'proper' float rod but it'd probably be fine for float fishing for larger species like tench and chub from a boat.

You've got a good all round fishing tool there but I'd want something lighter for say roach fishing.

Mines dealt with carp to 15lb and barbel to 9lb too and I think it is my favourite rod. I even took it out to India and had small mahseer and catfish on it.

I use an avon top for float fishing on occasion. It's not exactly for finesse but for brownies, carp, tench and anything where finer lines aren't part of the equation, it's alright aye.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hi Ali123,

Welcome to the forum,

if i didn;t want to use the quiver section would it be possible to use the rod with light bobbins and bite runner etc for maybe tench?

Yes I sometimes use my Avon/Quiver rod with the Avon tip for ledgering for Tench , Crucians, Chub and small-ish Carp at fairly close range.

also if using a loaded feeder what is the best way to land on the same spot,even after catching a fish?

As others have said; by using the clip on the side your reel spool once you have initially cast to the desired spot to get the range.

Another method I occasionally use especially if there are large fish about is to use a strong wide elastic band over the spool which has the same effect but will still release line if a bigger fish than expected grabs your bait.

could the avon top be used as a float rod?

Yes, normal float rods have standoff rings and are a little longer but most avon/quiver rods are ok for float fishing as long as you don't need to cast too far and you use hooklengths of 2.5 to 3lb mark (or greater).

I use mine when I am trotting for Chub in a small over grown stream where a longer rod would keep catching the trees above and around me.

Plus I occasionally use it for catching Tench and Crucians in overgrown corners of a local estate lake.

I think that the Avon/Quiver type of rod is as close to an all round rod for fish between half a pound up to around 15lb as you can get especially if you don't own rods for each different situation.

tight lines

Keith (BoldBear)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I think that the Avon/Quiver type of rod is as close to an all round rod for fish between half a pound up to around 15lb as you can get especially if you don't own rods for each different situation.

Seconded, I have the Drennan Series 7 Avon Quiver and on Thursday it'll be pressed into service on JV44's Portabote in Avon mode. It's ideal for that situation where a 15' rod would just get in the way.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hi All,

Sorry Im not trying to hijack the thread but whats an Avon top? Im looking at the exact same specification rod - 1.25tc avon quiver with 3 quiver tips.

does it literally mean I can use the rod as a rod without the quivers?

Thanks,

Craig