Global Code of Conduct for Recreational Fisheres

It has to be seen to be believed Glenn. Its produced on behalf of the united nations and appears to be geared more towards freshwater but dont have half a day to sit and read it all. There are a couple of pages on fishwelfare about handling and all that.

Why they are doing all this when they could be concentrating on all the fishery problems around the world is beyond me. If you do get to open it take a sedative before reading.H.

Nothing I see in it seems particularly worrying, it doesn't seem to have been written to meet any sort of animal rights driven agenda, but it does seem a pretty pointless exercise. The average club card has most of what's written there!

I would be strongly against trying to establish a common European code of conduct, simply because what is culturally appropriate in Germany, Poland or Spain may not be appropriate in the UK, and vice-versa.

That doesn't address my concerns at all, I'm afraid. The content of that draft is fairly inoccuous, all motherhood and apple pie, but these things can be rewritten, and "voluntary" codes become de facto standards. Here's what I especially don't want to see; the adoption of German fisheries policies on fishing for sport. Here's what I suspect the rest of Europe doesn't want to see; the adoption of UK policies on catch and release of coarse fish. I just don't want to get into the formulation of common policies with cultures which have fundamentally different attitudes to us. Why do we need them?

Codes of conduct are a croc of S****. They serve no purpose whatsoever. Those who need bringing into line, the roudy beer drinking litter lout type, will pay no attention to any code of conduct whatsoever. The PC brigade who bring in these codes of conduct and those who endorse them will think they are wonderful and required. Conversley the average sea angler who goes about his business harming no one or no thing will become alienated from the whole thing. Codes of conduct by and large are patronising, ill thought out and have no real impact other than to get my back up. :schmoll: . I just keep getting flash backs of the RSA startegy code of conduct where DEFRA said they were going to advise us on fish handling and hook sizes. Like I say Condescending.

The regulate everything brigade march on, unchecked. Village fates are banned, community bonfires and firework displays are no, our children are caged in at School, Three little pigs has been banned in some Birmingham schools, Children fishing with handlines are told to put only 10 crabs in their buckets and anglers are going to be told what to do by people who havent a clue.

Someone shoot me and put me out of my misery.