Help...

deanw

Hi guys Im after some advice not being a carp Angler really.

I am going to fish a private 1/2 acre pond sometime soon which is very rarely fished. It has Carp to around 30lb and a good head of fish from 3lb upwards from what Ive seen from a scouting sessions, today there were loads showing around the margins, indvidual fish and shoals of up to 6/7 fish I must have spotted at least 50 this morning alone so there are fish there. Now with it being rarely fished, possibly one angler a week what would be my best method of approach to catching these fish, like I said Im not a carp Angler but I do have equipment minus a pole so any advice on methods/bait would be appreciated.

From what I saw today there were also vast shoals of small Roach/Rudd and a few larger ones in amongst them. Sorry for such a basic question but some knowledgable advice may save me some man hours..cheers in advance

I am going to fish a private 1/2 acre pond sometime soon which is very rarely fished. It has Carp to around 30lb and a good head of fish from 3lb upwards from what Ive seen from a scouting sessions, today there were loads showing around the margins, indvidual fish and shoals of up to 6/7 fish I must have spotted at least 50 this morning alone so there are fish there. Now with it being rarely fished, possibly one angler a week what would be my best method of approach to catching these fish, like I said Im not a carp Angler but I do have equipment minus a pole so any advice on methods/bait would be appreciated.

From what I saw today there were also vast shoals of small Roach/Rudd and a few larger ones in amongst them. Sorry for such a basic question but some knowledgable advice may save me some man hours..cheers in advance

Since you've cross posted in the Carp forum lets just deal with the Roach/Rudd.

Maggots should catch anything. I'd also take a few castors, plus some hemp and sweetcorn. This year I've found sweetcorn to be an excellent bait for getting the bigger fish, but different waters are ... different and fake hemp with a sprinkle of real freebies may be better. Castors tend to work better in winter but always worth trying just in case.

Tony

Go for the roach & the rudd, especially the big ones! Blow those nuisance carp ;)

Or go for the carp using a fly rod with breadcrust & pellet 'flies'....should be easy if it doesn't get fished that much!

This sounds great - just the kind of carp fishing I enjoy :) It's getting harder and harder to find now, well done for not naming the place.

You've done a fair bit of the leg work, so you're off to a good start. If they're mooching around the margins and you're likely to have the place to yourself, I'd do nothing but observe for the first hour or so, looking to see where the carp go and whether they feed, and look for spots along their route which can be easily fished (and which offer a hiding place). Then walk around and lightly bait up half a dozen spots - a bit of hemp, a few bits of corn, a pellet or two, some lumps of bread, nothing fancy. Then observe again, and watch for feeding fish. If you find a spot where the fish have a mouthful as they move through (or, better yet, rip the bottom up!) very quietly move round, wait until they've left the swim, and lower in a floatfished bait (a big lump of flake is good for this. Really big!). One or two more freebies, and wait for them to return...

Keep all the spots ticking over and you'll have plenty of options as the day goes on. If it's hot and they're on the surface, try floaters. Always fish as close in as possible, and I'd stick to a float as there's no disturbance, you'll know exactly what's going on underwater, and it's just far more exciting and enjoyable than dropping a bolt rig in, especially for unpressured fish.

For tackle, you'll need a rod that's capable of taming a decent carp and some decent strong line (10lb, maybe more if it's weedy or snaggy). I'd use a hooklength of something like 8lb mono or 10lb double strength and a strong size 6 hook.

Stay quiet though, or they'll melt away...

Good luck!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm in agreement with Anderoo, dont tell anyone about it or it'll be bivvy city!

I have been fishing a similar water with a good head of carp but because its a free to fish park/nature reserve you get the occasional kids and other anglers there. The general mistake with the place is to fish it like a commercial, i.e sit there with all your gear out, throw in loads of groundbait and expect the fish to come to you. These carp have got to be fed lightly and stalked for because if they know you are there they will just disappear up the other end of the lake.

Try keeping things simple and natural, lightly bait a few areas as Anderoo suggested and maybe try dropping a lobworm in on a freeline in the margins. I use a size 6 hook, 15lb mainline & a 12lb braid hooklength for extra 'invisibility', 15lb because I know there are snags which they will bolt for when hooked. I bought myself a Greys Stalker 9ft-12ft rod and this is excellent for bullying them quickly away from the snags and reeds when hooked and into open water.

I have found freelining to be a fantastic way of fishing and I have also found the carp dont shy away from the line either. Take the minimum amount of equipment with you and go get 'em!

Have fun.