What elastic?

Ed Matysiak

Got it all wrong today :huh:

Was fishing a new venue today on the pole. I'd heard it was full of 5lb carp so i took my 2 top kits...

10-12 middy pink

14-16 middy red

Turns out the average fish at this venue is a 1lb-2lb carp :mellow:

What elastic would you be on? I was obviously WAY over the top

Was fishing a new venue today on the pole. I'd heard it was full of 5lb carp so i took my 2 top kits...

10-12 middy pink

14-16 middy red

I'm not really up to speed with modern elastics as it must be about 8 years since i last bought any and six since i fished with a pole. Whats all this 10-12 and 14-16 about? It would have been would have been 10, 12, 14 or 16 last time i looked. Am i just out of touch?

Not knowing your venue its not that easy to answer your question, but i would have been looking at something like an 8 for carp around 5lb or maybe a 10 if there wasn't much room or i was finding an odd bigger one. For 1lb- 2lb carp an 5 or a 6 would have done it for me.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

10-12 middy pink

14-16 middy red

The 10-12 sounds ok but 14-16 is a bit heavy and i guess you lost a few fish after hooking them , ideally for this size of carp or f1 i use daiwa white hydro but you could try double 4 which gives you good initial stretch and then strengthens up as you play the fish so you get best of both and less lost fish , also preston slip no8 would be good .

Im off to a match now fishing for similar sized f1s and will be using the white hydro , hardly ever lose a fish on this stuff and i use a pulla bung so if i hook a bigger carp theres no problem landing this either .

Edited by tony tinca

Ive not used light hydro elastic Ed so will have to base my reply on normal elastic.I allways use a No6 for waters where Im catching silvers but can expect small carp as well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I use a 10 for my self converted tele whip/pole/margin thingy but only use 5 feet of elastic.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Middy 8-10

Solid 8

White Hydro

Doubled up no 4

Any of the above - the white hydro and doubled no4 are more forgiving and will stretch more than the others and are good for open water.

A solid eight will deal with the occasional bigger fish with ease and has less a bit more control that above.

The middy 8-10 has a bit less strech but more control near snags etc.

It all depends what you are happy with but with all I would use a pulla bung.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thats great, thanks!

I've not used pulla bungs, but i cant help but wonder...

how do you use the pulla while your holding the pole in one hand, and landing net handle in the other?

When you have the fish under some sort of control and you want to get some elastic back you just pull out enough so that you can shorten the elastic enough so you can get the net to it without having to stand up and stretch your arm high up and then you clamp the elastic between your hand and the top kit , if the fish decides to run you can just let the elastic slip throu your grip.

It takes a bit of getting used to but once mastered it means you can use lighter elastics and lighter hooklengths so is a real advantage , Its especially effective in the winter when bites are few and far between and your not rushing to get fish in and you want to make sure of landing every hooked fish as only 2 or 3 bonus fish might win you the match.