pellet sizes?

jamie gal

caught my first fish of the season yesterday 2 carp,the 1 was 4 pound and the other 1 was 7 pound, the bait i used was 6mm

pellets which i have never used before ,so im not to sure whether that if you use a bigger pellet does that mean a bigger fish?

anybody with more info please <_<

Nah pellet size doesn't equate to bigger fish.

What some people do is feed with say 4mm pellets to get the carp feeding competitively and then introduce, say a 6mm pellet on the hook, to attract the attentions of feeding fish. It doesn't mean bigger fish though.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

No not at all, it might deter smaller fish but plenty of big carp have been caught on baits such as single maggot so it's not all about size ;)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Well if you use the giant pellets, say 22mm you will not catch tiddlers but it is surprising how big a bait even a small Carp or indeed other species will take.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

caught my first fish of the season yesterday 2 carp,the 1 was 4 pound and the other 1 was 7 pound, the bait i used was 6mm

pellets which i have never used before ,so im not to sure whether that if you use a bigger pellet does that mean a bigger fish?

anybody with more info please <_<

Like everyone else says no , but a banded 10mm on the pellet waggler when feeding 8mm can produce some bigger fish but as a general rule 6mm is the way to go and feeding 4mm pellets and will catch you more carp and when your catching more carp your gonna hook the occasional bigger lump .

What setup were you on ie pole ,method , general ledger or waggler ?

Like everyone else says no , but a banded 10mm on the pellet waggler when feeding 8mm can produce some bigger fish but as a general rule 6mm is the way to go and feeding 4mm pellets and will catch you more carp and when your catching more carp your gonna hook the occasional bigger lump .

What setup were you on ie pole ,method , general ledger or waggler ?

thanks for the info, so thats the trick is it,throw out smaller pellets than the hooked pellet? ye just a ledger with a band holding the pellet on.

like i said its the first time for me to use them so i dont know a lot about them, i caught them fish on a single 1 can u put more on or does it matter?

Can do that but there are more than a few ways of fishing pellets.

I'd look up pellet wagglers, hair-rigs, pellet bands, lasso rigs, PVA bags, pellet cones, method feeders, floaters, expanders, feed pellets and so on. Lots to read about.

Big, big subject.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Bigger pellets does not mean bigger fish but in my opinion a change of pellet size, brand, type etc can result in extra fish (as can a change of bait to say meat/corn/bread etc).

I generally always used the same feed pellets but have a range of expanders and ready to use pellets. I experiment to find which hook pellets gets the most bites but still keep changing to something different every now.

I belive I then pick up fish they may have been reluctant to take the main hookbait I am using on the day.

For example - a week or so back I had feed 2.3mm pellets with a few 4mm (both skettering) mixed in.

Had loads of bites on 4mm VDE marine expanders but also caught on ringers green 4mm, ringers original 6mm, sonubaits f1 4 and 6mm and sonubaits 4mm and 6mm S pellets original inbetween.

When things went quite but I could see loads of bubbles I then tried a sonubaits white chocolate 6mm hard pellet on a band and immediatly landed five decent bream in a row.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Bigger pellets does not mean bigger fish but in my opinion a change of pellet size, brand, type etc can result in extra fish (as can a change of bait to say meat/corn/bread etc).

I generally always used the same feed pellets but have a range of expanders and ready to use pellets. I experiment to find which hook pellets gets the most bites but still keep changing to something different every now.

I belive I then pick up fish they may have been reluctant to take the main hookbait I am using on the day.

For example - a week or so back I had feed 2.3mm pellets with a few 4mm (both skettering) mixed in.

Had loads of bites on 4mm VDE marine expanders but also caught on ringers green 4mm, ringers original 6mm, sonubaits f1 4 and 6mm and sonubaits 4mm and 6mm S pellets original inbetween.

When things went quite but I could see loads of bubbles I then tried a sonubaits white chocolate 6mm hard pellet on a band and immediatly landed five decent bream in a row.

thanks for that il try diff types and sizes etc and see how i get on,im going sunday so il try it then :)

Can do that but there are more than a few ways of fishing pellets.

I'd look up pellet wagglers, hair-rigs, pellet bands, lasso rigs, PVA bags, pellet cones, method feeders, floaters, expanders, feed pellets and so on. Lots to read about.

Big, big subject.

i think i got a lot to learn with pellets then ha, hopefully with this info of diff ways how to do it mabe il catch nace fish, thanks alot