close season

hopeless

can anyone tell me why is it such a long close season.3 months seems a long time.and it seems just when rivers are in there prime we can no longer enjoy them until weed is everywhere and you cant find a decent swim.

The closed sesson was set at 3 months, because not all fish breed at the smae time. Predators, such as Pike, Chub and Perch, breed early (Pike often breed in January, if conditions are right). Other fish, such as the Cyprinids (Carp, Bream, Roach etc), lay their eggs in soft weed, roots etc and the young hatch later.

In actual fact, some fish will often breed on and off all summer, when conditions are right. But when a period for the lay-off was decided upon, the 3 month period between March 15th and June 15th, seemed to cover most situations, when most fish decided to breed.

You may have noticed, there has been much discussion on this forum about the Closed season, thankfully good natured, with most agreeing to disagree (but still stay friends). Suffice to say, that the discussion will continue and there is on-going research into the need for a rivers closed season. The closed season is here to stay on rivers for the time being (I support the retention of it), but there are those who disagree. We're all entitled to our own opinions and if you can stay away from rivers and stick to stillwaters for three months, then you'll be OK, it's not the end of the world.

What you will find, is that on the days when the closed season ends every year, June 16th, the day will feel special.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Dunk Fairley:

What you will find, is that on the days when the closed season ends every year, June 16th, the day will feel special.

Ahh, otherwise known as The Glorious 16th , I am one for keeping the closed season, although, I get the cravings, and the need for a quick fix, that where the memory works overtime. :D

Tell me about it!!!!

The glorious 16th often has an "overture" for me. I usually get to the water on the 14th, then get set up (bivvy, brolly, camp bed depending on where I am) and get some bait going in. The 15th is (nowadays) spent explaining to people why I'm there throwing bait in, but my rods aren't set up.

Then, after supper, I'll get the rods ready for the stroke of midnight when I'll cast out (Never before!!). The following few hours are spent sitting in the chair, eyes held open by adrenaline. Waiting for the first bite, run or sunrise. Each, no matter what, is greeted by the same unique exitement, which can only mean that a new season has arrived.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org