Fishing equipment

SPSwallow

I need some floats, hooks, lines, disgorger, hook tyers etc, to start fishing...i've been very unorganised and didn't have the stuff to go out today! <_< The thing is i'm not sure what type of line, floats and hooks to get. There are so many and it is very daunting to see the shelves upon shelves of stuff in the shop.

I live in the Norfolk area so i'll be fishing the broads and a few rivers mainly, but there are a few commercial fisheries i'll visit. Any recommendations on the sizes and types of equipment? :huh:

Thanks for you patience ;)

ps, I have a friend coming soon that will be coming along with me. I assume the rod license is for the rod and not the person who uses it?

ps, I have a friend coming soon that will be coming along with me. I assume the rod license is for the rod and not the person who uses it?

No an EA fishing license grants an individual the right to use two fishing rods. Your friend will need one too.

Tony

I need some floats, hooks, lines, disgorger, hook tyers etc, to start fishing...i've been very unorganised and didn't have the stuff to go out today! <_< The thing is i'm not sure what type of line, floats and hooks to get. There are so many and it is very daunting to see the shelves upon shelves of stuff in the shop.

I live in the Norfolk area so i'll be fishing the broads and a few rivers mainly, but there are a few commercial fisheries i'll visit. Any recommendations on the sizes and types of equipment? :huh:

Thanks for you patience ;)

It sounds like you already have a rod; If so then the line, hooks, floats etc depend on what sort of rod it is and what size of fish you are realistically going to catch with it. It is no good using a 3lb line, size 16 hook and a waggler with a beach casting rod; likewise it is no good using a light match rod with 15lb line and a 3oz lead and size 4 hook.

I suggest you take your rod and reel into your local tackle shop and ask his advice on the venues you intend to fish; the fish you are likely to catch and the tackle you will need. and invest in a simple begginers book which shows you the basics of setting up and unhooking etc. then watch the other anglers and observe what they are catching, the baits that they use, where they are fishing and the tackle they are using. you can learn a lot by watching and taking note.

As RearePleasures says a licence allows you to use two rods and is only valid for the angler whos name is on the licence, he can buy a 1 day licence or a full licence if he wants to go more often.

Most waters are owned by clubs or private owners who charge for a dayticket which you will have to buy in addition to your rod licence. There are some waters that are free to fish but you will still need your rod licence.

Tight lines, you will not regret taking up fishing especially if you learn how to do it properly. :)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thanks for the advice. I've been in and he gave me some help choosing floats etc. I've gone for size 16 and 18 hooks and some wagglers for a local fishery in the hope of getting some bream. I also have a river float and a bigger type float that lets you fish deep. The hook line I bought is 2.7lb and mainline is 6lb