Marker Float Shock Leader

SpecimenSean

I was going to go and do some reccy on a pond tonight but i dont know if ive got any shock leader. Is it a 100% nesscary or can you do with out. Ponds only an acre so there would be no extreme range casting. Ta guys

What line will you be using?

Rich

Then that's more than enough if you don't go mad.The golden rule is 10lb of shock leader BS to 1 ozs of lead ie a 5 ozs lead would need a 50lb shock leader but bear in mind this is for powerful casting styles and the over head thump most carpers use wouldn't need this.

I don't normally use a leader when depth/feature finding as I find a braided main line a lot better.Most of my braided mainlines (for this sort of thing) are over 30lbs so Ive never needed a leader,Also a marker float rig runs a lot better without any leader knots etc but of course this depends on the depth.

Reason I prefer braid for feature finding is that due to its lack of stretch I think you get a better feel of the bottom when dragging the lead. I very rarely need more than a 3 ozs lead for this sort of thing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I use 20lb braid straight through for both spodding and marker work, together with a 3lb tc distance carp rod. You'll be fine with 15lb sensor.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

So how effective is using mono with a marker float for feature finding? Everything I've read suggests you should use braid as it transmits more information up the line due to having not stretch. I guess if you don't have braid mono will give a reasonably good picture?

Also can I use my regular carp rod (2.75tc) for this or do I need a special marker rod?

So how effective is using mono with a marker float for feature finding? Everything I've read suggests you should use braid as it transmits more information up the line due to having not stretch. I guess if you don't have braid mono will give a reasonably good picture?

Also can I use my regular carp rod (2.75tc) for this or do I need a special marker rod?

Hi Gary, mono is ok but you will learn, more with braid particularly subtle difference in bottom make up, e.g. clay, gravel hard silt etc etc. A regular carp rod will but just fine, in fact most commercially available marker rods have a TC of around 2.5.

Rich