Fishing in the Czech Republic

Elton

As somebody who is about to go 'solo' in the business world, I can relate to this email quite a lot and would really appreciate it if you could give your honest opinions.

Cheers,

Elton

quote:

Hi Elton, I have a question that I would like to put to the anglers in the forum but am not sure how to put it or whether your rules allow it (it may be construde as advertising) so I thought I'd place it in your hands and see where if anywhere we go. The situation is this: My wife and I are looking to buy a farm in the Czech Republic, the farm is sighted next to a large dam in which there are large catfish and in the river that feeds the dam are large carp. Before going ahead we would like to try and guage the response from anglers to fishing in CZ. We thought it might be feasible to pick up anglers from Dover or the Chunnel with a minibus and trailer for their tackle and drive them to the farm where we would supply accomodation and food. What do you think of this idea and do you think its an appropriate question for the forum? 

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton,

It's the kind of thing that appeals to me but to help gauge peoples opinions some more details about the country and the fishing would be useful ie;

What's the climate like ? How long would it take to get there - driving or flying ? What else is nearby - towns, shops ? How big is 'big' and is the venue scenic, wooded or open etc ?

As for the water and it's fish, what are the stocks and weights ? People generally want big fish but are put off by tons of small fish (I'm thinking in the case of carp).

These are all the kinds of things people want to know. To find out you'd really need to test fish, with something like half a dozen people for up to a week, and answer some of the questions.

Sounds like an interesting venture and I hope it comes off,

Rob.

[ 12. April 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: RobStubbs ]

The summers in CZ are warmer and slightly longer than we have here but the winters are much colder. Travel time by plane is 1hour 45 minutes to Prague then an hour and a half drive. By road its 12-15 hours depending on traffic.The farm is set in the countryside with views of hills and forrests close by.The area is the most famous in CZ for carp, cats and trout depending on whether you are fishing above the dam, the dam its self or below the dam respectivly. We are flying out to CZ next week to get info on wieghts and stock levels and will post details asap.Within 10 minutes drive is a main town with all amenities and 45 minutes away is the second most popular tourist atraction in CZ which is the spar town of Karlovy Vary. There are many castles in the area as CZ is reportedly the most castlated country in europe.

I'm certain I got details a couple of years ago from a company that did exactly this in the Czech Republic. They had negotiated rights to a couple of large reservoirs that were normally closed for fishing. Never followed it up though and no details of the company to hand I'm afraid.

Found this company as well, but it wasn't them : http://www.czechpoint.co.uk/fishing.htm

Anyway, for what it's worth, then if you've got the fish the anglers will come. I'd think however, given the distance, that you'd also have to offer anglers the option of flying and then have tackle for them to use so that they don't have to worry about baggage allowances etc. Overland anglers may be prepared to bring everything they need to bivvy-up, but if they're flying you'd really have to make sure you had everything laid on, whether that be ready-prepared bivvies or B&B accomodation. You may also find a ready market in countries like Germany - they seem to like travelling abroad to fish.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.