Serious and adventurous anglers wanted!

John Bogle

If I had some money, I'd travel a bit more...but as it stands, I just take the odd trips to nowhere...as long as its cheap as chips! :)

www.globetrotterworld.co.uk

GLOBETROTTER main website:

http://www.wildcarp.com

GLOBE'S GALLERY:

http://www.wilderness-photo.co.uk

New CARP 2006 CALENDAR:

http://www.pinkkipperpublishing.co.uk

EUROPEAN Website:

http://www.westerlaan-publisher.com

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, Pub you were in sounds like 'The Mayfly' twixt Stockbridge and Andover. You should have tried a 'dog end' for them - used to work a treat off a bridge just upstream with a handline! (i'm not too sure if they went for the nicotine or coz it looks just like a trout pellet)

Thought we were bringing back stringent controls for the grock's this season - or is it just the test anglers who have to be Jersey residents :D

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

GLOBE':

If I had some money, I'd travel a bit more...but as it stands, I just take the odd trips to nowhere...as long as its cheap as chips!    :)  

Globe, you sound like a reasonably young fella so you really ought to make every effort to travel to exotic fishing areas.

[ 06. May 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It was indeed The Mayfly toggle! I had a walk up the footpath to a small bridge over the river and believe it or not saw a golden orfe of around 5lbs there!

I've never fly fished in my life, but watching those trout made me seriously consider it! The brown trout looked beautiful in the water!

Fly Rod?, Nope to fish the Test you need to remortage your house + sell the wife & daughter!

Mind you makes your trip sound a bargain against a beat on the Test for a year or two! :)

I actualy started angling with Fly & Spinner & got into coarse when holidaying in France & watching Dutchmen pull out monster carp - thought I'd have a bit of that!

Cheap fly fishing can be had in Dorset at 'golden springs' anyone want to have a bash - let me know!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Sounds like the way to go jon! Are anglers required to kill nile perch to feed the villages on these excursions?

It does seem pricey when you consider that trips to Florida can cost a similar amount, but the cost of living is that much higher,(and more luxurious than a lot of Africa).

Did a trip to North India/Nepal for mahseer once, white-water rafting and very remote, river Kali ,Himalayan foothills. Fancy having another crack at that, got a meeting with the brute that chewed my trebles up and spat a rapala back at me.

Not your poncey, hand fed Southern fish either, tor putitora have tattooes.

Couple other things in mind overseas for next year but not too keen to divulge all just yet.

Sounds like a good thread.

P.S I was born in Essex, fanx bu' no fanx.! :P

No way! Definitely return all fish alive if possible. I had one Nile Perch die on me in Uganda (after over an hour trying to revive it!) but the lodge made good use of it.

Goliath tigers are quite hard to release alive since they really tire themselves out in the fight (so I understand) but I definitely intend to release all fish I catch if possible. I accept that sometimes the odd small fish might be taken for food, but I try to release all fish alive if possible. It's not like Kenya where all fish have to be kept. That's why Kenya isn't really considered for Nile Perch now as all fish caught were killed. U undersatand the problem is quite bad with Tiger fish on Zimbabwe's lake Kariba too.

Comparing a trip to Africa with a trip to Florida is not exactly comparing like for like. Africa Is in a totally different league to Florida.

For starters Florida is dirt cheap because thousands, if not millions of tourists go there each year, so the numbers bring the prices down a huge amount. I doubt the places I go get more than a couple of thousand tourists a year (If that!).

In Africa you quite often get the place to yourself unlike Florida where there's hundreds fishing there every day. You have the wildlife, the remoteness, everything.

Ok, so florida has lots of big fish, but it's not quite the same as going to fish one of the most untouched and spectacular locations in the world where very few people have fished before.