Chub 'on the tip'

Kappa

I've recently been fishing for chub using a more static method than I am used to. I usually touch leger with a quite slack line with a bow in it and move the bait around the swim (kind of semi-rolling) meaning bites are pretty easy to hit.

However when I fish with a more static approach, rod in the rest etc, I find I've been getting savage pulls that a very hard to hit as they are very quick. One of the problems is in the swim in question I have to leger almost directly downstream of the rod and there is no question of a bow in the line to allow a drop back or to allow the lead to shift, so I think the chub are feeling too much resitance from the rod tip and dropping the bait!

I'm using a running 6 inch link with a few swan shot and a 2 foot hooklength, any ideas?

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

The first thing that comes to mind is to feed and rest the swim for quite a while before casting. Failing that, a lighter hooklength and smaller hook might make a difference, I wouldn't want to go much longer than 2' though in case of deep-hooking.

Maybe it's little ones?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hello Rich.

What baits are you using? What's the current like?

My gut instinct would be to actually shorten the hooklink by a ft or so, hold the rod whilst it's on the rest and hold the line with your spare hand.

Maybe add an extra shot than what's needed and let a tiny bit of slack out. I'd use the avon top of your rod and not try and hit those lightning knocks. Often I find that Chub will bang the bait once or twice, go away and decide what to do next, if the baits left alone one'll often come back for a proper go.

A few freebies wouldn't go a miss first 20 mins before you're going to fish the swim, get them used to a bit of feed going in and it'll bring in a bit of competition.

Hello Rich.What baits are you using? What's the current like?My gut instinct would be to actually shorten the hooklink by a ft or so, hold the rod whilst it's on the rest and hold the line with your spare hand.Maybe add an extra shot than what's needed and let a tiny bit of slack out. I'd use the avon top of your rod and not try and hit those lightning knocks. Often I find that Chub will bang the bait once or twice, go away and decide what to do next, if the baits left alone one'll often come back for a proper go.A few freebies wouldn't go a miss first 20 mins before you're going to fish the swim, get them used to a bit of feed going in and it'll bring in a bit of competition.

I was using luncheon meat and was feeding regularly including for 30 mins before I cast. I'm sitting on a bridge support with a narrow area of slack water in front of me with two fairly pacey 'rapids' coming in from either side from under the bridge. The rapids merge about 20 yards out and I was fishing just in front of where they merge i.e. directly in front of me. I can't cast to this point from the bank or from downstream so I have to fish directly downstream, directly in front of me.

I think I'll hold the rod as this should help. I think they were 'proper' bites as they were really savage, one or two were preceded (30 seconds before the wallop!) by little taps! If I could fish from a different angle I could allow a bow in the line and just enough lead to hold bottom so the fish merely has to dislodge the shot but I can't do that in this swim!I was thinking of shortening the hooklink, maybe so I could see as the fish picks the bait up before it bolts with it!

Just out of interest why the avon top? I never usually bother with quivers when I'm roving but it just feels right with a more static approach.

Maybe it's little ones?

Maybe but the bites were savage, plus I'd expect the little ones to be more persistent!

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

I should have known you were doing all that already!

Nothing else to add really, maybe they'd been fished for earlier on in the day and were cagey. Chub can be so frustrating at times.

On the tributary on opening day I had some lightning fast taps on legered meat and after a while changed to a longer hooklength (18") and a smaller hook with a smaller bait. I did then get a proper bite, but it was a damn trout, so I don't know what that proves!

If you're getting the taps and then a proper pull it does sound like decent chub. Maybe a float? The only other thing I can think of it to present a bait in really slack water, allowing you to have a little slack line from rod to bait. That one I had on the near side of the pool on the 16th was in very slack water with a slackish line.

Fishing after dark would be easier...

I really want to go chub fishing now!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Interesting scenario Rich.

I think at this time of year I'd go for a freelined bait and quite a vulgar sized one at that. I'd also use a size 4 or even a 2. I'd leave a good bit of the hook point clear of the bait too. If you need to fish with linked shot, then I'd defo go shorter on the hooklink, 6 inches even.

Especially If the waters shallow you might be trying to strike line bites?

I only use a quiver for Chub if I'm fishing smaller baits on a low clear Winter river, all other times I'd use the avon top. With a quiver you can often find yourself striking into thin air from what look like massive knocks. If you hold your rod and the line you can often decipher what's going on far earlier than using the tip.

If you know the Chub are there maybe try not feeding at all. It sounds like the sort of swim you may only get one or two fish from and they may come first chuck?

That river Carp can wait. I am going Chub fishing now!!

Edited by dant

If you know the Chub are there maybe try not feeding at all. It sounds like the sort of swim you may only get one or two fish from and they may come first chuck?

I did have one immediately (from a different part of the swim) but I was getting plenty more bites I just couldn't hit them.

Rich

freelined Lobworm on a larger hook :) sorts the men from the chublets from my experience, especially with free offerings in the swim. Guess what I'm doing after work...

I did have one immediately (from a different part of the swim) but I was getting plenty more bites I just couldn't hit them.

Rich

It's a tricky one Rich, they can be canny buggers these Chub. If all else fails I'd try a blooming great big slug freelined on a size 2. That usually provokes a positive response..