River Great Ouse - St Neots

Pond Plopper

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DonRemus:

Oh and by the way, barbel to 4lbs have been caught at the Eaton Socon weir pool.

That is interesting. It is beginning to look as though barbel are pretty much through the Ouse system now. Is the power station still functioning at Eton Socon, if it is the water temperature will be up a little in that pool duting the winter which could be of benefit to any barbel in the pool.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

There is a new power station there now so there is still warm water entering the river.

St Neots Angling Society also have Wilden Reservoir which is a members only water. There was a match there today and 28lbs, 20lbs and 13lbs were the top 3 weights (mostly bream).

By the way, how do I get an avatar on this forum?

DonRemus:

There is a new power station there now so there is still warm water entering the river.

St Neots Angling Society also have Wilden Reservoir which is a members only water. There was a match there today and 28lbs, 20lbs and 13lbs were the top 3 weights (mostly bream).

By the way, how do I get an avatar on this forum?

I didn't know about the power station, it is a long time since I have been there.

If you go to your profile you will find a gallery of avatars in the edit section I believe.

[ 14. August 2005, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

quote:

Yes, black slugs are a good bait for chub
I find any colour slugs are usually deadly!

DonRemus:

The latest power station. I say 'new' but I believe its been there since about 1992!

Well that is certainly new as far as I am concerned. :) It is much longer than that since I fished the area. I was in the UK last year and I visited friends who had an apartment at the canal area just below the weir pool, but I never saw the river above it. I was a bit upset actually because as we were sitting on their verandah they were telling me about a "Huge" (their words) pike that was eating all of the ducklings and little coots etc. From where we were sitting I could see where the pike had to lie in ambush and I could have put a lure right on the spot. Unfortunately I had no tackle with me. Is the paper mill still working and is the mill pool there still as it was?

I used to fish the area quite a lot and the power station area at Eton Socon was one of the few stretches of the river that were fishable during the 1962/63 winter. The temperature never got above freezing for six weeks and the ice on the river was well over a foot thick. A friend of mine and I measured it at either Eton Socon or another power station area and we found it to be fourteen inches thick! I think that it must have been just up stream of the power station at ES - I can't think of any where else that has a power station in that area. That was a miserable winter for everyone let alone anglers.

Hi Guy's

Thanks for all the additional information. I know we should'nt wish our life away... but I can't wait !!!

Don, where's the nearest tackle shop from the Caravan site ?

I've booked my bacon butty by the waters edge, don't suppose that'll be delivered unit 10.00am'ish.

Thanks again.