Groundbaiting technique

wunnus

Its the heap on the lake/river bed

Vs

the broadcast to an area method.

So the heap gets a single fish locked on position.

The broadcast creates an appetite where the fish snap about for bits.

Does it depend on the level of stock in the water?

Or is it the type of bait that is suited to the method?

"Muddlin' along"

I might be wrong butyour question was a bit difficult to understand.

When groundbaiting I would take into account the species and number of fish im likely to catch.

If you are fishing a water where a good day is 2-3lb of small Roach then a small heap to concentrate them into that area works best, but if you days fishing is likely to produce 50lb of Bream then the groundbait needs to be spread over a larger area, 50 lb of Bream wont fit into a small area.

Theidea is to attract the fish into the area where your baited hook is and your hookbait should be the most attractive thing in amongst the groundbait. If you put a full tin of sweetcorn into a swim and then fished 1 bit of corn on the hook then your chances of that beingpicked up are small, if it had a worm/maggot on the hook as well then it becomes more likely.

No hard and fast rules and every day is different, hope this answers your question.

Scott.

Thanks for the info.

Groundbaiting sounds an east enough concept but upon inspection it gets a bit murky.

On the one hand we have the cloud baits that aim to expand fast and aim to stimulate the fish's appetite. On the other we use bait droppers, pva bags, ball of bait etc to place bait with precision in a location.

A czech writer appeared to describe firing lines of bait leading to the angler. On a usegroup I came acros the idea of firing flavourings in to the water. Both of these suggest creating a pathway to bring in the fish.

So often I see punters lugging bins full of bait to the water and then changing the colour of the water to red etc. I have tended to fish the first cast without any and then build it up if needed. The grandiose claims for commercial groundbaits tend to suggest that "cloud groundbaiting" and "precision bombing" were the same thing.

The packets of commercial mix do have a place but targetted at fish and its feeding pattern. Cloudbaiting in a river is likely to not work in that same way as on a lake.

I was interested in how others approached the subject.

"Muddlin' along"