Pike Fishing

Quest

I have only been fishing now for about 7 months. But my question is are you allowed to fish for pike now - on lakes and also on the river when june 16th is here? Thank you in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:

I have only been fishing now for about 7 months. But my question is are you allowed to fish for pike now - on lakes and also on the river when june 16th is here? Thank you in advance.

It depends on individual venues and Clubs. Most rivers are Closed for fishing. Some canals and lakes are open. Some anglers prefer to wait 'til June 16th anyway, and some more traditional Clubs and anglers don't dead-bait for pike before Oct 1st.

If you haven't been fishing for pike very long and are not well-versed in the careful and proper handling of them ( I assume you've got all the essential gear: unhooking mat, sensible net forceps, long-nosed plier, side-cutters etc etc), then you need to take extra care (and preferably help and advice)if you're going to fish for them while the oxygen content of the water is low (i.e. during the warmer months).

If you're a lure-angler (you don't say how you are fishing for pike), then it's probably a tad easier.

Remember, pike may look fierce, and indeed they are towards their prey, but they are in fact a very delicate fish that use-up a huge amount of energy grabbing prey, or your bait or lure. The same goes for zander.

DG

[ 07. May 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

D.G

Yes I have got all the gear required, And I have caught at least 35 pike since i've started fishing. I'm just addited to catching them. And I would not dream of harming one. I always aim to put any fish I catch stright back into the water ASAP.

The reason some lakes don’t allow Pike fishing in the summer is due to deoxygenating. The lakes often suffer from this during the warm weather. The pike needs more oxygen and after a fight cannot always get what it needs from the water therefore the fish could be harmed even be killed by lack of oxygen. In the winter this is not a problem as oxygen levels are higher in the lakes. Shallow lakes are worst affected, large lakes less so and fast moving rivers are least affected, however, check the rules of the fishery you want to fish and stick to them. hope this is of help.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks. But what about Rivers, of course from June the 16th onwards. I will be doing at lot of fishing on the River Colne. Does any one know if I am able to fish for pike then?????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:

Thanks. But what about Rivers, of course from June the 16th onwards. I will be doing at lot of fishing on the River Colne. Does any one know if I am able to fish for pike then?????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks

If you read my original posting more carefully, you'll see that I did answer that! :mad: Anyway, here goes again ... most rivers have a Closed Season until 16th June .. for all species (except trout of course). As for pike fishing before Oct 1st, if in doubt check with the owner of the venues you intend to fish, or your local club e.g. Rank Xerox or Boxmoor DAS (their Bylaws state 9. Pike fishing will commence on 1st September each year until March 1st following, unless advised. , or your local tackle shop or the EA. (There are several River Colnes but I am assuming you mean the one that runs via Uxbridge and Watford etc)

DG :mad:

[ 08. May 2003, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Guest sslatter

I wish you luck in finding a river or lake where you can go summer piking. This is the time when they are at their fittest and provide the best sport, in my opinion. They won't be at their heaviest, but getting one to take a surface or near-surface lure or twitched floating deadbait in the summer is one of the great coarse fishing highlights, with the pike often exploding out of the water from underneath your lure/bait. IMO it's a shame that some rivers/lakes ban summer piking. But I can understand their reasoning where very shallow lakes are concerned during prolonged periods of hot weather.

fishing fool:

my brother only goes fishing for pike he got all the top gear

Hi Fishing Fool, welcome to AN. Atleast your bro is keen if he has all the top gear, but top gear isn't everything. I sometimes bump into ET (Eddie Turner), 'cause we both know some good spots on a particular venue. ET's tackle can hardly be called 'top gear', and his reels certainly don't look matched. Atleast the ones he uses from his boat don't! And if you haven't heard of ET, well, he's right up there at the very top with a list of 30's to be proud of. So, don't bust a gut getting the 'top' gear, bust a gut finding the fish! Good luck.