Couple of questions from a newbie

curuxz

Hi all,

Have read quite a bit in these forums and decided to join. Was hoping you guys could help answer some simple, probably stupid, questions for someone starting out. Haven't done much fishing since I was a kid but want to get into it so have got a rod and am just about to get buy my licence. I live in Southampton and as I understand it we have quite a few free stretches down here.

I think, unless I am wrong, it is free to fish down in Riverside park on the Itchen and this is where I want to give it a go...

1) Will a normal (ie non-migratory) licence be ok for the Itchen? I am only after seeing what I get, not anywhere near skilled enough to target anything specifically. I am just going to try simple bait and see what I get. I am sure I have heard people getting sea fish occasionally and am unsure if that is covered on a normal licence?

2) Don't wish to be controversial, but on the Itchen being a free stretch can I eat fish I catch. I don't expect for a second to catch anything worth keeping with my lack of skill but out of interest if I did fancy the odd 1 or 2 is this allowed?

Finally, any tips for a newbie?

Thanks guys!

OK, so I guess no one knows (which is fine) so I did some digging my self. While it may seem a little odd to reply to your own questions, I thought perhaps someone else would be interested/correct me/search in the future for this info. Personally I think as a new fisher it is damn confusing but oh well...

Spoke to Southampton Council and the EA and they said:

"1) Will a normal (ie non-migratory) licence be ok for the Itchen?" Yes so long as your not going after migratory species, you can fish sea fish without a licence if they come up there since part of the itchen (up to woodmill) is tidal. Still would like to know how they determine this, surly if I am using a spinner going after a bass (I think someone is about to tell me thats wrong or something, but I don't know better) and they say spinners are for salmon how can I prove I was after the sea fish. Very confusing.

"Don't wish to be controversial, but on the Itchen being a free stretch can I eat fish I catch. I don't expect for a second to catch anything worth keeping with my lack of skill but out of interest if I did fancy the odd 1 or 2 is this allowed?" Apparently the tidal part, sea fish is eat whatever you like and course fish is standard rules but past woodmill in the fresh water part of the itchen it is only catch and release. Fair so.

I also have herd that out on Redbridge causeway you can fish for sea fish on the mouth of the test for free, that seems like a fun idea (always see LOADS of anglers down there).

Any tips on catching sea fish, from shore on a tidal water river.

Not odd at all to reply on your own topic when you have information to add.

Most odd that no one responded earlier though. Even if no one knows, someone will usually come on to say that just so you know you aren't being ignored.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm sorry that nobody's answered you questions, as Newt said, it's unusual.

I'm not from your area, so can't give any specifics, but here's the EA release regarding size limits, and the taking of freshwater fish.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/stati...oval_Byelaw.pdf

These will apply to any water that is deemed 'free' fishing.

Those who own the rights to a water can impose their own limits, over and above those laid down in the EA regs.

The taking of sea fish is also subject size limits, here's a link to the latest one I can find.

http://www.sea-fishing.org/nfsa-size-limits.html

If you are fishing, and by chance catch a fish you are not licensed for, then as long as you return it, you can't be accused of fishing specifically for it.

As I said, sorry I can't give any specifics about your area, but I hope you find this stuff useful.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Cheers for the advice guys, that list of sizes for sea fish is very handy. Although as someone who has not fished since they were about 10 I am not likely to get anything any time soon! :)

Ah well think I will go on one of the local catch and release ponds and see what I can get with a cheap rod and some bread, just for practice!

If you are fishing, and by chance catch a fish you are not licensed for, then as long as you return it, you can't be accused of fishing specifically for it.

As I understand it this can be a bit of a grey area. For example if you were fishing with a worm (or any bait) and caught and returned a salmon it could be up to a watching bailiff to decide if you had deliberately targeted it and therefore whether or not to try and prosecute you. Just returning a fish isn't proof you weren't targeting it and trying to claim you were after perch, chub or what ever might not help either.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

As I understand it this can be a bit of a grey area. For example if you were fishing with a worm (or any bait) and caught and returned a salmon it could be up to a watching bailiff to decide if you had deliberately targeted it and therefore whether or not to try and prosecute you. Just returning a fish isn't proof you weren't targeting it and trying to claim you were after perch, chub or what ever might not help either.

It might be up to the bailiff to decide if he thought you had deliberately targeted it. But if you put it back immediately, I can't see how any attempted prosecution would stand up in a court.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It might be up to the bailiff to decide if he thought you had deliberately targeted it. But if you put it back immediately, I can't see how any attempted prosecution would stand up in a court.

John.

I'm no layer John, but if you were seen using heavy worming gear to catch salmon and your defence was, I thought catching salmon was OK as long as you put them back....... I'm not sure how a court would view it.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Does this all mean that I should avoid using worm bait ??

I only plan on trying bread and sweet-corn to start me off, but would be interesting to know what bait gets the fish on the tidal stretches of the solent/itchen/test.