DILEMMA or changing values?

Guest Peter Waller

I bivvy up when fishing with the boys. We sleep in bivvies rods out on pods with buzzers etc.

Now being a few feet away from your rods & lashing one to a tree & going off in a boat leaving your rod totally unattended is a different matter!

Oh & I used to have a telly until Liam broke it eek.gif

lyn

Guest Graham E

mp etc. Sorry if you didn't understand. I was trying to say it was the method in question(or should have been) not the "carp angler"

I am NOT anti carp anglers. I am anti 4 rods with buzzers etc. being used on rivers as I have stated many times before. (whether piking/barbelling or any species)

I have noticed every time someone asks a question that does/might involve carp angling tecniques there is a mighty beating of breasts.

Guest Alan Pearce

Graham be honest, how many times, if ever, have you come accross an angler fishing with four rods on a river. And even if you did what were the club rules on that bit of river regarding number of rods allowed to be used?

Same question to everyone else.

Alan.

[This message has been edited by Alan Pearce (edited 22 March 2001).]

Guest Scott

Elton, baiting up etc is not what i meant,

what i meant was the idiot fringe that abandon their rods and if i upset the carp boys then sorry.

To me the Pike angler that is'nt near his rods is far worse (deep hooked pike die)than the carp angler.

The reason carp boys get a large percentage of stick is because there are more of them and the more people you have, the bigger percentage of idiots.

As i have mentioned before i have spend a fair bit of time carp fishing and have nothing against carp anglers.

I do however have a problem with the idiots who in the end spoil it for the rest of us.

Scott

Guest Peter Waller

Whoops a daisy! What a sensitive lot SOME carpers are. Offence was NOT intended and my appologies if any was taken. I thought that was clear from my first question. My question, to a large degree, was tongue in cheek, but not entirely. But there was / is a serious note to it. Irrespective of species being sought, irrespective of the anglers involved, fixed lines, night lines, dead lines, call them what you will, have evolved & now require a different degree of skill & cunning than is practised by the rod in hand angler. In effect, I suggest, a fixed or night line, set to catch a fish without striking by the angler, which effectively is how many now fish, would not have been acceptable at one time. Hence 'changing values'.I suppose, if there really is a dilemma, then it is whether to accept change or to stay with my old sporting values, e.g. head in the sand! As for the comment re 'bivvy boys'. Using a bivvy is fine, in itself. But there is no getting away from it that but there is a sector of bivvy inhabiting angling society, whose attitudes to their sport is considered my many to be less than ideal. As has been said, angling is all things to all men, unless the actions of one damages the sport of the other. For what its worth, my feeling is that carp techniques are great for carp, but not nescessarily so for other species. It is rather the same feeling when I watched a fellow at an ACA pike match using a pole!Thanks for your responses.

[This message has been edited by Peter Waller (edited 22 March 2001).]

Guest andy jack
Originally posted by Scott:

Elton, baiting up etc is not what i meant,

what i meant was the idiot fringe that abandon their rods and if i upset the carp boys then sorry.

Scott I find it disturbing that you directed your origonal comments at me personally, and later said, quote"what I meant was the idiot fringe". Have you got a little carried away with the thread or am I to take it that you are publicly calling me an idiot, and suggesting that I would abandon my rods.

You were certainly playing on my words, when you quoted my "engaged in other activities". Should I have qualified this comment with a comprehensive list of other activities, that I would engage in. Yes some of us are getting a bit touchy, especially those of us who have been getting the sh***y end of the stick for the fat end of twenty years. Snide comments in threads like this are just the tip of the iceberg. We have had to put up with what can only described as dicrimination, from clubs, publications, water owners e.c.t. for decades. So yes I will put my hand up to be counted if it is suggested that we are getting touchy. What is the biggest surprise is that after all the years of carp angler bashing, some of you sound like you actually belive we have nothing to be touchy about. What really gets up my nose is the fact that I have the utmost respect, for others who chose to tread another path within this sport. But then again I am perfectly happy with my lot, so I do not feel bitter or resentful of others.

Guest Danny H
Originally posted by andy jack:

We have had to put up with what can only described as dicrimination, from clubs, publications, water owners e.c.t. for decades.

No offence , but have I landed in a parrallel universe? I assume the quote above relates to being a carp angler.

From what I can see a huge percentage of waters are carp fishing waters, I'm not having a go, but I remember my mates fishing for carp along with everyone else in the early 1980's,

If you want discrimination try Spinning at lots of places.

As for lashing lines to trees, what about the catfish ebro brigade, I know, I know it is not quite the same.

After monitoring this site for a while, I now feel I have more patience for other anglers.

But One angler is still a pain.

The bl##dy radio turned up loud angler, whatever he fishes for.

[This message has been edited by Danny H (edited 23 March 2001).]

Guest andy jack

Danny I canot comment upon restrictions on spinners. As not being my thing, I have not noticed. I have no reason to doubt your word though, so you have my sympathy regurding this. Trout waters are the only thing that spring into my mind, where I could see this being justifiable.

Yes I admit that carp waters are on the increase, but many are match type carp waters. But the ones that are not, simply represent the growth within this branch of the sport.

You can honestly say hand on heart, that you have never seen any rules that target carp anglers and their methods? No boilies, no night fishing, no sleeping, no seeds, nuts or pulses, one rod only, no stoves, maximum of 3/4oz leads, no free offering exept maggot and caster, no floating baits, no camping, no ledgering, running rigs only. Just a few off the top of my head, all rules that appear on a day ticket or a club card, they are all real rules I have not made them up. Given a little time to resarch I could come up with an impresive list no doubt. Just look at the attitude of some anglers on this thread, and others like it. Some how I do not feel like I have to justify my discrimination comments any further.

Guest Danny H

Andy jack, I see your point, I guess as these rules don't affect me , they have just past me by.

I was under the impression that there was lots of Carp waters around, Or at least there is around here, bedfordshire.

And come to think of it, when I was in Devon two months ago, that was packed with carp waters.

In fact the whole of southern england is absolutely teeming with Carp waters (except the blessed fens), If these places have anti carp rules, then I have no idea what that is all about.

I have fished for Carp,I still have the 12ft rods and baitrunners etc, In fact I would love to have a tench/carp session in the summer.

But married with 4 kids means luring is my only avenue to fish on the whole( and now my favourite method).

I s'pose every arm of fishing could probably

moan about rules that affect only them.

Guest Graham E

Alan, very rarely tis true, (piking on the Thames a couple of times) I would like "recommendations" or rules in place to prevent it ever happening. Many Clubs DO NOT have a rod rule except for matches.

Rcvd Cash for CR , Many Many Thanks, will post off with other from Trentbarbeller/mine and see if any more arrives first.