Catching Crucians

quote:

Originally posted by chesters1
110.jpg
:

they are for some reason put off by groundbait :confused: for some while but each bite is certainly not finicky i have had the rod pulled of its rest whilst pouring tea
(I wish ! - DG)
. we generally go at 5pm ish and fish till dark after the other anglers have been sitting in the sun allday getting very little
:D

Hmmh! Night-fishing seems favourite then

Cheers Chesters & guys

thumbupsmt.gif

DG :cool:

[ 20. May 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

My only experience of them is that in clear water, dusk is by far the best time. I seem to remember flake being just as effective, if not more, than maggots. You can use a bigger hook with flake as well - I used to use a size 10 or 12. If you're casting then you are probably fishing too far out. Dont use a pole though or you'll probably catch anthrax and all your pubes will fall out - or something like that.

[ 20. May 2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Sharpe:

My only experience of them is that in clear water, dusk is by far the best time.

Thanks PS, but unfortunately the lake is well churned up by other species that are in there e.g. tench & carp so it's never clear

Anyway, armed with this shedload of advice (thanks everybody ) I'm going to give them another crack this weekend

DG

DG

a whip is fine as long as one of the crucians bigger cousins doesnt come along to lead you a merry dance!!!!!!

Spindle - touch ledgering, NO CHANCE

I have watched a 4 x 12 pole float (very small) go from side to side without dipping or rising a millimetre, when I pulled my rig in - no bait.

I know crucians are the culprits.

If you strike there is nothing there.

I know plenty of people reading this know what I mean. Crucian fishing can be one of the (probably is the) most frustrating types of angling in the world!!!!!!!!!!!

When you get it right, nothing beats a net full of butterscotch gold.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

By bigger cousins I mean Commons, Mirrors, Koi, leathers etc.

I think the record is round about 4lb.

Saw a bloke catch one just under 2lb Monday night!!! He caught it on 3lb line, 16 hook on a waggler with a small bit of corn.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD:

By bigger cousins I mean Commons, Mirrors, Koi, leathers etc. I think the record is round about 4lb. Saw a bloke catch one just under 2lb Monday night!!! He caught it on 3lb line, 16 hook on a waggler with a small bit of corn.

Right! Got you

:)thumbupsmt.gif

DG