Multiplier reels

Matt Shaw

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Badger Sounion reels are the real DeeBee's. A good friend has two and they are incredible value and great reels. Only £20.00 at Chatsworth!

The advantages are many. Firstly in casting, you have total thumb control. You can feather a cast with absolute precision, either to help prevent trebles catching around the trace, or to limit the length of cast. Secondly, in playing a fish, you can play against the clutch without having to pump the fish. The small size of a multiplier, compared with a fixed spool, makes them so easy to handle, especially in a boat.

It has to be said, not everyone likes them. Barry Rickards, who demonstrated at Chatsworth is not a big fan. For most folk it is either a love or hate relationship. I've been using one for over 45 years and their use is second nature. Used on an American style baitcaster they have become an extension to my arm.

Yes, I do have & do use fixed spool reels, but if I never used one again I wouldn't worry. But I would be a very unhappy man if I lost my multipliers or centre-pins.

There is a degree of superiority, in some quarters, regarding the use of a multiplier. I just think that they are an absolute pleasure to use and just perfect for the job in hand.

Matt - you'll need a rod set up for a casting reel as well as the reel itself.

Your choices will basically be to use a low profile reel or a round reel. I've tried both and prefer the round but others like the feel of the low profile. Both work well.

And if you are just starting out, the crank on these is on the right - opposite to most UK reels - and you have to cast then switch hands. It becomes very automatic and not a problem unless you are accustomed to the other sort. I started with that setup so am probably a bad judge but I have since tried the left-hand crank and don't like it.

Go to http://www.basspro.com and the fishing section then the rod/reel combo section to see what is available. I have used and can highly recommend either of the pair pictured for a low-cost rig. Lots more detail at the site.

combo1.jpg

And the one I use now as my favorite (even though I have more expensive gear). A little more than you indicated you wanted to pay for a reel but IMO this one handles as well or better than rigs costing 4-5 times as much.

combo2.jpg

I'm sure you can get reasonable gear from UK shops but there is so much emphasis on lure angling over here and the professional lure anglers use baitcasting gear for over 90% of their angling that we may have developed a bit beyond the UK. And BassPro does a nice job with their house brand. I use their stuff for all except my heavy rods & reels since they don't do those.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Most of the UK suppliers have realised that we like left hand wind reels and so more often than not can supply both. Persoanlly I use Shimano Curado reels, but there are plenty of cheaper ones around that will do the job. The John Wilson one sold by Masterline was pretty good when I tried one and certainly won't break the bank. Some good deals going when bought with a matching rod as well.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Peter Waller:

The advantages are many. Firstly in casting, you have total thumb control. You can feather a cast with absolute precision, either to help prevent trebles catching around the trace, or to limit the length of cast.

Once you have mastered the art of un-ravelling the birds nests! :D:D

quote:

The advantages are many. Firstly in casting, you have total thumb control. You can feather a cast with absolute precision, either to help prevent trebles catching around the trace, or to limit the length of cast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have mastered the art of un-ravelling the birds nests!

I never did master it....so my Six Shooter and Aggressor are 'retired' in the garage.... :(

Paul

Tinca61:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have mastered the art of un-ravelling the birds nests!  

I never did master it....so my Six Shooter and Aggressor are 'retired' in the garage....   :(     :(

Shame! A suggested starting point (hope Nugg agrees :confused: ) hold rod and line with lure attached, at 45 degrees i.e. half way between horizontal and vertical, then slacken-off the drag until the lure drops very slowly to the ground. That should hopefully stop birds-nesting although it will initially reduce casting distance

Tried all that D.G. believe me but with no improvement. The reel is stuffed anyhow. Apparently you are supposed to loosen off the clutch completely when you've finished fishing. I didn't and it doesn't work anymore. Worse thing is I never caught a fish on the kit but I don't have the inclination to get it fixed now....

Paul

Re the Aggressor, leave the clutch right off, it will probably regain it's useability. I did the same with mine but having slackened the clutch , and doing so after every trip, it seemed that the problem was solved. Nice enough reel but sold it in the end. The buyer has never come back so presumably the problem was solved.

The John Wilson Six Shooter rod, horrible things. Good blank, good handle, but it always seemed to me that the two were never intended to be on the same rod! The JW reel, under other labels it can be bought for a lot less money.

Nugg:

Nugg:

Once you have mastered the art of un-ravelling the birds nests! :D:D
Nugg, simple answer, don't get birds nests in the first place!!

A multiplier is no worse than a centre-pin for birds nests. No one knocks 'pins for that, so why do they knock multipliers?

As a kid I became the unraveller of tangles to the gang, once learnt never forgot. A crochet hook is a handy tool.