Making Casters

manse

All you have to do is leave the maggots out of the fridge for a couple of days, its best if you transfere them to some clean maise or sawdust and riddle them off 1 or 2 times a day to collect the caster.

Store the caster in a brown paper bag inside the polythene bag because polythene "burns" the caster turning them dark brown, and keep the casters in the fridge

[ 28. February 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Fishy Dom ]

"Carp are hard to catch in the winter, that also goes for the spring, summer, and the autumn"

hi manse..know what you mean about the wife..i have the same problem...tyr and get your self a little fridge of your own...thats the best way to keep them and the wife can't comlpain....thight lines................

I've been turning my own casters for over 30 years and without a doubt THIS IS THE BEST METHOD.

Any leftover maggots you wish to be turned into casters, must be removed from the maize meal and put into DAMP sawdust. The dampness of the sawdust should be checked regularly as this is the key to getting them all to sink. Ideally, they should be put through the riddle every eight hours. Casters should be removed from the riddle, washed and placed in a WET CLOTH. I use old T shirts that I tear up. These should be Half immersed in water inside a normal bait box well wrapped up in the cloth and stored in the fridge. Each run off, just add to the rest but maintain enough water in the baitbox to keep the cloth WET. You will find that your casters will GLOW and will be CRISP and you'll want to eat them yourself. When you go fishing empty out the excess water untill you arrive at the waterside. This stops water spilling over other baits, your sandwiches etc. As long as you make sure your cloth is damp, you will have the finest casters on the bank BAR NONE. BELIEVE ME :D:D:D

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.