Small Perch

enfield250

Has anyone got a clue how to stop small perch swallowing maggots. I was out on the cut yesterday, every time I hooked some maggots it got grabed by a small Perch. I was using a 16 hook with 4 maggots and a rubber grub, but they still just grabbed them. It was a funny day though, sweetcorn started producing Skimmas this later changed to Roach. But maggots only produced small Perch (4"), almost instantly and right accross the canal.

Stop using maggots for a start. If there are small perch in the water, you can almost guarantee they,ll find it first and 9/10 they just wolf it down.

If you must use maggot, stick to plain white and you might avoid the perch's attention for a few more seconds. Perch are highly attuned to red. If you use red maggots or pinkies, you can be certain they'll see it right away.

Perch don't seem to appreciate casters, pastes, corn, pellets etc. They will have a try now and again but normally the Roach etc. will have a bash first.

If you want to target larger Perch, try a size 6 hook with a couple of big lobworms for bait. The small Perch will struggle to get the hook/bait down and they tend to just poke at it. The big perch will gob it in one go and you'll soon be able to differentiate between bites. If the little'uns are having a go, just move your bait or recast.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

i've had this problem before. it seems that there is no way to stop them, but there is, as andy said you will catch perch on white maggots, but they think about it first, where as with red maggots the perch dont think, they grab it without thinking twice. which means, as andy said it gives the other species of fish a chance to look in

I find that ensuring that you are exactly on the bottom and not over depth, and striking at the slightest movement of the float instead of the more positive total dips stops the small perch from being deeply hooked. If you are ledgering then upgrade to braided main line and strike at the small touches as well as the wrap rounds.

I fish a water with 100's of small perch and have generally limited the amount deep hooked to less than 1 per session doing this.

Also increasing your loose feed can sometimes work to feed them off. Once the small perch stop showing I find it is generally a sign that you are gonna be getting into some bigger fish.

Tight Lines