Mint

davedave

All,

You've opened a crevice to my favorite topic. I can only defend myself "factually" or scientifically up until about the 1990's.

Newt.

The product is "Zostrix". It is an arthritis medication containing 1% capsicum (there are other brands - read the label). Capsicum is the "longest range" carp attractant ever tested. Most would know capsicum from the nightshade family of plants - you know - peppers, tomatos, potatos, eggplant. The problem with using capsicum in concentrated forms is that it is VERY easy to use to much.

Before I address Budgie's question(s) may I say I no doubt have the most extensive list of SUCCESSFUL bait additives - now at 67,726 different flavorings. Perhaps slightly less than half (never really counted) are available in some commercial form for "carp bait". Carp are survivors and will eat darn near anything. To our good fortune I believe.

Budgie,

As of the late 1980's it was accepted the carp lateral line includes both taste and smell. They cannot be seperated. It is the largest organ with the brain located near the back of the fish (above the anus). For us to try to seperate smell and taste is of no particular value. The two areas of concentration an angler should choose is "attractant" and "food source". Attractants are not necessairly even healthy for the fish and can well serve no other value than to get the fish into your swim.

I believe there is a third "force" that is not frequently invoked in catching carp. Beside "protein" and "alcohol" (to sustain life) there is "fight or flight". I always recommend a fizzing antacid tablet (like Alka Seltzer) in the spring (near the spawn). The "mint" flavored seem to be "best". So mint is not without merit. I don't distinguish between any particular mint.

Phone