Travel Fishing

njhowen

Hi guys! (new member)

I started fishing a few weeks ago, starting on a tiny little telescopic rod aimed at kids. However, in little over a week my gear has exploded to include 2 full carp rig set ups, tackle boxes, landing nets/mats etc.

However, I travel to fishing venues on a daily basis on my motorbike. Everything has to fit in one rucksack. Using travel rods I can JUST about do it, but the bag that I have is diffucult to use for this purpose and hunting for things and jamming things in and out is a pain (so is the damage and damp fishy smell left in my super expensive hiking bag!).

I have looked, but is there anything purpose built that can contain 'everything' that you need and will go on your back, like a travel fishing kit? Any suggestions?

Currently I carry:

2 travel rods

2 reels (boxed :angry: )

1 Fold up chair

Bank sticks

Alarms/Bobbins

Unhooking mat

Landing net

Tackle box

Fresh line

Knife

1 bag pellet bait

1 bag groundbait

1 can sweetcorn

1 can hempseed

1 can maggots

1 pot of fluro pop ups

Groundbait bowl

Book/magazine

Needs to be able to take all of this....

Welcome to Anglers' Net.

I have trouble getting everything into one cart so I'm not going to be much help. :(

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well first off I would suggest taking less gear but if this isnt an option you would be best to just find a large rucksack. Also rather than having your reels in a box just buy some reel pouches as they will take up less room.

The problem is that most specific angling equipment often comes with an inflated price tag. I would just look for a really large rucksack that isnt branded as angling gear. I wouldnt be too sucked into having to have everything camo's up. There really isnt any need and you will often pay for it with your pocket if you choose to go down that route.

Also bait wise try to cut down on what you take. Pick one or two baits and stick with them and only take as much as you need.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

For an easy 'fix' I'd strongly recommend that you look at the Korum Ruckbag: they do a couple of different versions. Yes, they are fishing-specific, so you do pay a bit more than you would for a budget rucksack, but they do what they are designed to do supremely well ... I've had mine at least 5 years .. it's still 100% intact, undamaged and functional .. it is capable of swallowing a mountain of kit yet keeps it easily accessible: if it's full it can verge on being too heavy to carry.

Perhaps just as important, its as easy to carry as a 'proper' hiking rucksack, and is designed in such a way that gives very easy access to ALL of the contents whilst the bag is on the ground.

It has provision for strapping on one of Korums own collapsible chairs - again, highly recommended, but I'm guessing that you could probably strap on a different chair, perhaps with the judicious use of a couple of bungee straps etc?

Rods? Hmmm. They MIGHT fit inside, depends on their length, I guess, but I'm thinking another option may be to strap them on externally.

If you ARE happy to go this route, you may also want to consider another piece of Korum kit: they do an unhooking mat / bag combination that would swallow up landing nets, keepnets etc, and attach externally, keeping wet nets etc away from nice shiny tackle :D

Edited by PeterNE1

Could get a box for your bike to take some stuff?

Its a pain isn't it, i have the exact same problem

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

For an easy 'fix' I'd strongly recommend that you look at the Korum Ruckbag: they do a couple of different versions. Yes, they are fishing-specific, so you do pay a bit more than you would for a budget rucksack, but they do what they are designed to do supremely well ... I've had mine at least 5 years .. it's still 100% intact, undamaged and functional .. it is capable of swallowing a mountain of kit yet keeps it easily accessible: if it's full it can verge on being too heavy to carry.

Perhaps just as important, its as easy to carry as a 'proper' hiking rucksack, and is designed in such a way that gives very easy access to ALL of the contents whilst the bag is on the ground.

It has provision for strapping on one of Korums own collapsible chairs - again, highly recommended, but I'm guessing that you could probably strap on a different chair, perhaps with the judicious use of a couple of bungee straps etc?

Rods? Hmmm. They MIGHT fit inside, depends on their length, I guess, but I'm thinking another option may be to strap them on externally.

If you ARE happy to go this route, you may also want to consider another piece of Korum kit: they do an unhooking mat / bag combination that would swallow up landing nets, keepnets etc, and attach externally, keeping wet nets etc away from nice shiny tackle :D

I have looked at these ruckbags before but they are just too small. I would never go without a chair that has a back to it due to stiff back otherwise I might be able to get away with stowing rods in helmet compartment and just having a seatbox/back pack arrangement.

I'm really surprised that no companies have released a product that would take a complete carp travel set up. It all fits in my 75 litre backpack with room to spare, its just really disorganised. If they had like seperate tubes for rods/poles/fold up chair (or built in chair) it would be awesome. I'm even half tempted to mod one myself but really dont want to ruin my super expensive hiking bag.... <_<

Really my only issue is the fold up chair, my rods, food, day shelter and waterproof fishing jacket all store easily in my bike...

Right now

I've not got a Motorbike or even that Trike that I'm hangin my nose over (got buddies in the BTW)

You don't say how big the motor bike is but what about a small trailer

I've see some larger Touring bikes pulling what we call Teardrop caravans -- sleeping and cooking for one person with tackle but two without tackle and it would be "Cosy"

I use a Mobility scooter to go fishing and I had the same problem until I modified my trolley (an old version of the UltimateTraveller system)

This carries my Shakespeare box and my carp mat which doubles as a stink bag and my rod holdall

Now, -- I KNOW this is no good for the bike but if it gives you an idea to get to work with a MIG welder the wheels would be good if nothing else