question about angling for small species

Phone

All,

This is in no way meant to be condensending. Please accept my ignorance. I'm a carp fisherman.

In the UK, when you fish for small species what is the sequence of events. Is it somewhat like "match fishing" (which I've seen). Do you bag the fish? For example, if you are Dace fishing do you weigh and record each capture before casting back in?

Do you use "size appropriate" rods? - Stuff like that.

We have flyfishermen in the mountain west that will kill for an 8 inch native brook trout (and a fabulous session is ONE). Nothing wrong with that.

I just don't know about this type species angling in the UK

Phone

There are times when I pleasure fish for small species for the simple fact that I like to put a good bag of fish together or just to catch one of that species to add to the year list such as a Ruffe, Gudgeon or Bleak.

Yes appropriate tackle is used - the smallest hooks and hooklentghs I have tied size 24 very fine wire canal hooks / wide gape hooks or maggot hooks (all mustad longpoint) tied to mono with a breaking strain of 8 ounces.

The lighestest pole elastic I have set up is a size three which is very light.

Another tool I use is a 5 meter telescopic carbon whip with a solid flick tip,

I also use a lightweight 13ft float rod with a 1000 size reel coupled with 2lb line and hooklengths down to 1lb

When I started Coarse fishing it was for stunted Rudd with an average weight of a few ounces.

In the depths of a cold winter getting a bite from the smallest of fish can be a challenge on a stillwater.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!