Beginer [Near Glasgow and need advice]

spartafan

I've never found the "need" for a boat on Lomond.

There are a lot of bays where you can fish quite happily, as if the were a small water on their own.

Has anyone heard, or fished "Paddy's Pool" (Lomond) recently? I fished it a few years ago and it was fantastic, even if it felt haunted.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a walk round Magiscroft fishery and see what the regulars are doing. Then ask for Gary or Ronnie and they will give you the advice you need. More chance of catching immediately and building up your skills. The canal can be bloody hard work at times believe me

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

peterthefisherman:

Take a walk round Magiscroft fishery and see what the regulars are doing.  Then ask for Gary or Ronnie and they will give you the advice you need. More chance of catching immediately and building up your skills.  The canal can be bloody hard work at times believe me      

the canal is brutal, first day fishing with andy macfarlane 7 hours we caught 2x2oz roach and that was it but its great for practice and homing your skills. there will be much better places on the canal but where i dont know, firhill basin is meant to be a good spot on the canal but ive never took the opertunity to fish it yet

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Rumours abound that many tench(and other species) have been caught from the canal and "moved" to a well known hole in the ground in the past 2 or 3 years?,i personally would stick to Lomond purely for the wild fish value and the scenery although i have done fairly well on the canal.

Wanna buy some pegs dave..

I enjoy Tench fishing on the canal but this year only had 5 in 5 trips biggest 2 Lb 14 oz.

Pike fishing over the winter was much more rewarding getting as many as 5 in a short session.

Roach and perch are alway disappointing size-wise.

Certainly heard some perch/roach ponds were plundered to top up a certain location !!!!.

Will never understand why the canal has deteriorated. Some of the "old hands" talk of huge nets of Tench - wouldnt happen now !!.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

i went a walk up the canal today with my nephew and seen some kids catching some large perch at the same place me and andy went, and some alchoholics spinning and catching nothing but weeds.

its just a guess but there has been alot of work being done on the canal could this be the cause of its deterioration. up my end they are connecting the canal to another canal further up im not sure but the water is prety much like a dumping ground i hope they clean it up

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Firhill Basin...it's a good venue but a word of warning: don't fish alone into the dusk. I tried it once and had serious hassle from a local ned.

Paddy's pool: is this the one out near Newbridge on the Western side of Edinburgh or is there one at Lomond also? The former had really big eels and perch and some tench but the last I heard it had been re-invented as a trout puddle.

Jim.

[ 17. August 2005, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Jim Murray ]

Certain sections of the canal still have good tench,the dredgers have been in on a few stretches so i don,t imagine this would help.Peter,i have also heard of decent carp being caught(some from the monklands canal) and sacked up to be moved to the same overhyped puddle.Oh before i forget,i don,t remember catching any tench without raking a swim first. :D

[ 17. August 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Papa Lazarou ]

Wanna buy some pegs dave..

ColinW:

Obviously you'll need a boat for some places and if you rent one it's quite expensive but you'll never fish anywhere nicer.

He usually charges less if you tell him that you are going fishing.

I guess that he knows that the tourists probably won't be back/have plenty of money to spend, but local anglers will keep coming back for more, espcially when the tourist season tails off and most of the boats stay tied up for most of the day.

Tight Lines

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust