Desktop Diaries

I am running Pro 2010, it backed up, I had three *.pst files and none had the contacts and task in them.

Could it be that I backed up in 32bit and then tried to open them in 64bit?

Outlook 2010 should only use one PST

BUT it will create a PST per email address depending on how you set it up.

for instance i have mine set up to download about 5 email address all via the one PST file. in the accounts options it only lists the primary email adress though.

your contacts are NOT part of that file in 2010.

they "should" be stored here C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Outlook Files

and then as an Outlook data file within that folder; it will be named after your primary email address...(usually)

if you didnt back up that folder then you wont have backed up your contacts

thats a different location to where older version of outlook will have stored it i think.

Edited by kirisute

Outlook 2010 should only use one PST

BUT it will create a PST per email address depending on how you set it up.

for instance i have mine set up to download about 5 email address all via the one PST file. in the accounts options it only lists the primary email adress though.

your contacts are NOT part of that file in 2010.

they "should" be stored here C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Outlook Files

and then as an Outlook data file within that folder; it will be named after your primary email address...(usually)

if you didnt back up that folder then you wont have backed up your contacts

thats a different location to where older version of outlook will have stored it i think.

I have that folder and within it are four email address files. Having opened each in outlook all they contained was copies of emails. Am I opening them correctly? I have tried to access them via open PST file and doing an import, both methods only produced emails

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I have that folder and within it are four email address files. Having opened each in outlook all they contained was copies of emails. Am I opening them correctly? I have tried to access them via open PST file and doing an import, both methods only produced emails

bottom left of the outlook screen are the options for sections...choose contacts and then you will find options at the top for adding new data sets etc have a hutn through them and see if you can point the contacts folder towards the correct data set. cant recall exactly now because im on my home pc which doesnt have outlook 2010.

the other way to check is to open the FILE menu then goto INFO

choose ACCOUNT SETTINGS then the ADDRESS BOOKS tab. this will give you a list of the reccomended address book folders and also allow you to add custom file locations for other address books...you "should" be able to point it towards your files and hunt down your contacts that way...

worth a try at least

all your emails in one pst file can get very nasty over time. my previous boss had about 6 email addresses in one pst and it got to a size of around 15gb over a few years. using and searching emails was horrendous and slowed outlook down to a snails pace.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

all your emails in one pst file can get very nasty over time. my previous boss had about 6 email addresses in one pst and it got to a size of around 15gb over a few years. using and searching emails was horrendous and slowed outlook down to a snails pace.

thats true...but then again you can always just export your old emails to another file and backup..then remove them from your PST. which is, at the end of the day, only good "house-keeping" anyway.

letting your emails build up so huge is quite frankly awful practice anyway!

if your previous boss was working with me id tell him to sort it quick or id sort it for him! LOL!

Do you know it MUST be me as I simply CANNOT get to grips with Outlook in any way shape or form!! I THOUGHT I had it set up last week after several years of trying, I sent a rather important email to someone and ALL appeared to be well. Only they go back to me two days later and said as I had IGNORED them and NOT replied as I said I would the offer was offered to next person in line and I suddenly felt ILL!!!

So waht is it that actually makes OUTLOOK so damn good as I have not in some 15 years EVER got it to work!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Do you know it MUST be me as I simply CANNOT get to grips with Outlook in any way shape or form!! I THOUGHT I had it set up last week after several years of trying, I sent a rather important email to someone and ALL appeared to be well. Only they go back to me two days later and said as I had IGNORED them and NOT replied as I said I would the offer was offered to next person in line and I suddenly felt ILL!!!

So waht is it that actually makes OUTLOOK so damn good as I have not in some 15 years EVER got it to work!!

mate...im the same..never used it, never wanted to and still not quite happy with it. ive ONLY gone onto it because its easier to take my contacts from the iphone into it..for some windows windows live mail and standard windows contacts just dont like iphone to pc and vice versa!

i only use it now at work because its on the systems..

at home i stilll use Windows Live Mail and 110% happy with its functionality!

LOL!

to me Outlook is needlessly complicated and far to cumbersome for its own good..it is functional and effective with it..but its ridiculously over designed.

Edited by kirisute