Piking and coarse fishing on Loch Lomond

Guest NickInTheNorth

Guest NickInTheNorth

I'm moving to Ardlui next week, and wondered if anyone had any info on pike fishing the northern end of the loch, also appreciate any info on general coarse fishing.

Nick,

The northern end of Loch Lomond is a deep water highland loch, not generally inhabited by coarse fish (As I discovered when I spent a couple of weeks at Tarbet).

Most of the coarse fishing is confined to the Southern end of the loch where it becomes a 'shallow' lowland loch.

However, there is a shallow bay towards the Ardlui end that contains coarse fish.

Down at Balmaha, you can hire a row boat. Mention that you are going fishing and he may let you have it at a cheaper rate than for the tourists.

Davy Holt is the real expert on Lomond piking.

And don't forget that Loch Awe isn,t too far away :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Nick, some brief info can be found here. I have a few friends that fish Lomond on a regular basis, the Piking is a bit slow at the moment but there is some excellent Roach fishing to be had.

Many PAAS members fish there, especially the Glasgow branch try their website here

Scott.

Ardlui is relatively quiet compared to the southern end, I havent fished for roach etc but they are allegedly to be found around the moorings. I have only fished (pike)the winter months from the west shore just down from the boatyard but fishing can be slow but the scenery makes up for it. Like Leon says most of the fishing takes place in the southern end it can be busy but if you have boat access , well the loch is your oyster..