PowerPro Review

Elton

JTB is probably out using the line and catching fish and winning money.

Poor fella - not to be able to spend time doing testing like we can. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

JTB is probably out using the line and catching fish and winning money.

Poor fella - not to be able to spend time doing testing like we can.
:D

Yup, poor fella .. all that hard work to earn a $ ... I just walk around my lake and folks give me lots of money to fish it (for what's left after the cormorants have had their fill) .... how easy is that ... and I get my mate to do pukka tackle tests for nothing, in exchange for fishing the lake ... how easy is that?

And when I'm not bandit-hunting, I just go fishing for pleasure .. and am unbiased when it comes to what tackle I use and I have no need to regurgitate marketing hype .. I'm lucky enough to have access to the pukka equipment for testing lines and stuff

DG

[ 13. September 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Shock time for Den.....tested my new 15lb Daiwa Sensor and the No Knot (NN) broke at a consistent 16lbs+. So far so good.

Tested one of my made up BRAID hook links...NN one end Twice thro eye (TTE) at otherswivel end.

Nominal 17 lbs...broke several times below 10 lbs!!! Broke at the swivel knot!

Tried the TTE at swivel with the NYLON and it tested to 14+

Very early stages yet but what I did observe was the FACT that I had dificulty stopping the braid from slipping around the steel rod but had no trouble with the nylon slipping.

So early indications are that if twice thro the eye stops slipping then no strangulation can occur..good for nylon...but braid slips so strangulation takes place.

Final quick test was to use the TTE on the same swivels and braid, but superglued the knot (to stop slippage?) This lifted 16lb of water.

I then retied three rigs and superglued the swivel knot and all three lifted 16.

So as of today I will be superglueing my TTE swivel knots when using BRAID

DG, I have tried to tie your swivel knot, I can get four turns but then I lose control of the loop and turns and can't seperate them to pass the end back thro!! :o

Den I shall return after more tests.

DG Note the edit!

[ 14. September 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

quote:

Originally posted by poledark:

Shock time for Den.....tested my new 15lb Daiwa Sensor and the No Knot (NN) broke at a consistent 16lbs+. So far so good.

Tested one of my made up BRAID hook links...NN one end Twice thro eye (TTE) at otherswivel end.

Nominal 17 lbs...broke several times below 10 lbs!!! Broke at the swivel knot!

Tried the TTE at swivel with the NYLON and it tested to 14+

Very early stages yet but what I did observe was the FACT that I had dificulty stopping the braid from slipping around the steel rod but had no trouble with the nylon slipping.

So early indications are that if twice thro the eye stops slipping then no strangulation can occur..good for nylon...but braid slips so strangulation takes place.

Final quick test was to use the TTE on the same swivels and braid, but superglued the knot (to stop slippage?) This lifted 16lb of water.

I then retied three rigs and superglued the swivel knot and all three lifted 16.

So as of today I will be superglueing my TTE swivel knots.

DG, I have tried to tie your swivel knot, I can get four turns but then I lose control of the loop and turns and can't seperate them to pass the end back thro!!
:o

Den I shall return after more tests.

Excellent work, Den .. and while full of b'day cake too!

I have printed-off your posting and will chew over it off-line.

My lab-mate's promised to have results by the end of the week .. I've also asked him to check a regular low-tech nylon mono as well as Daiwa Sensor, whioch I rate highly too as monos go.

And yep, that Sufix knot that I use can be a tad fiddly but looking at it closely, it's quite like your no-knot knot

Good stuff, mate

Can't beat the facts

DG

[ 13. September 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Den

Very interesting stuff, mate!

A couple of suggestions:-

a) to stop the line at the un-knotted end, slipping on the steel bar, first wind some Duck-tape on the bar and thengive the line 20 non-over-lapping turns on the Duck tape

B) for swivels, instead of your TTE knot, try the Palomar .. it won't/can't slip .... and see what it breaks at

Elongation/Stretch:

Den, re your 15 lb Daiwa Sensor, when you say it carried 16+ lb of water, I assume that you mean water + the wt of the bucket

Any chance (for JTB's benefit as much as mine & others) that you could set-up you rig with Sensor, and measure how much it stretches, starting with a (bucket + water) load of 2.5 lb and adding water in 2.5 lb lots, measuring the stretch each time until it breaks ..

Place your bet, JTB!! 25 percent? 20 percent stretch? Less?

Good stuff, Den

I should have "my" results by Weds or Thurs with some interim info before then hopefully

DG

[ 14. September 2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG, take your point re the duck tape and slippage..on reflection I am glad it did slip as it may have answered why the knot broke so easily.

Yes the weight does include the bucket. On some tests, usually the first couple, I suspend the bucket on the rig and gradually add water..it is only an inch or so off the ground so no problem with splashing when the line breaks.

When I tested the made up hook links on a load of 16lb the first one barely moved the bucket, so I took out a jugfull (about 3lb) and tried again. Still the link broke so I took out another 3lb and again the link broke at the swivel knot. Nominal 17lb breaking at less than 10lb! And I have been using it with no trouble to land several upper twenties!

I retied a couple and the braid ones broke but the nylon ones held up....I then added the 6lb of water previously removed and the nylon lifted it OK.

More later,

Den

[ 14. September 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

quote:

Originally posted by poledark:

DG, take your point re the duck tape and slippage..on reflection I am glad it did slip as it may have answered why the knot broke so easily.

Yes the weight does include the bucket, on some tests, usually the first couple I suspend the bucket on the rig and gradually add water..it is only an inch or so off the ground so no problem with splashing when the line breaks.

When I tested the made up hook links on a load of 16lb the first one barely moved the bucket, so I took out a jugfull (about 3lb) and tried again. Still the link broke so I took out another 3lb and again the link broke at the swivel knot. Nominal 17lb breaking at less than 10lb! And I have been using it with no trouble to land several upper twenties!

I retied a couple and the braid ones broke but the nylon ones held up....I then added the 6lb of water previously removed and the nylon lifted it OK.

More later,

Den

Look forward to it. This may seem a pain but it's getting the facts and at least then you know you can stand-up in front of anyone (e.g. Mutts Nutts Braid Marketing Inc, .. oh, and JTB :D ) and say that you have actually carried-out the tests, not just read the marketing hype about Wonda Mono or Mutts Nutts Braid

Do try the Palomar ... and incidentally, more for peace of mind than any other reason, I also used to super-glue the knot, but since using the Sufix knot which is very like your NKK, I haven't needed to ... because, under test, the line very, very, very rarely ever breaks at the knot

I guess that's why, for hooks, hair-rigs etc, the No-knot Knot is also so good .. but it's a b*** to tie to a swivel

DG

[ 14. September 2003, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

poledark:

DG, Nominal 17lb (braid) breaking at less than 10lb! And I have been using it with no trouble to land several upper twenties!

More later,

Den

Poledark

Like I said before, if you're a half-decent angler (e.g. like Den) you don't need 15 lb line to catch and land 20+ lb specimens ... only if you need to cast big heavy baits or lures, or to keep your fish out of snags, or get the snags back i.e. supermarket trollies etc

I have had trouble with your hand-lift bucket method so I have tried this:

Get a broom, rest the non-broom end of the handle on my 6ft high garden wall, and the other on an adjustable height step ladder about 2 ft away and adjust 'til the handle is horizontal.

Tie the broom end to the step ladder so it can't rotate. Tie the line, knot to be tested and bucket etc to the broom handle. This way you can add water and measure the elongation at the same time, single-handed

DG

[ 14. September 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Well - I have my testing gear. Digital 50lb scale, long turnbuckle, etc. Should be able to get b/s data.

But not a happening this weekend as I'd first hoped. A very nasty tempered lady named Isabel has caused me to be busy in the yard the weekend. I had gotten a shed and assembled it but not made sure it was very firmly fixed to the ground. It is now but the weekend is shot.

Ah well. From the looks of things I shan't be fishing next weekend anyway.

isabel.gif

[ 14. September 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

Well - I have my testing gear. Digital 50lb scale, long turnbuckle, etc. Should be able to get b/s data.

But not a happening this weekend as I'd first hoped. A very nasty tempered lady named Isabel has caused me to be busy in the yard the weekend. I had gotten a shed and assembled it but not made sure it was very firmly fixed to the ground. It is now but the weekend is shot.

Ah well. From the looks of things I shan't be fishing next weekend anyway.

Looks like a case of battening-down the hatches real tight!

Poledark's doing well with his tests .. I'm doing OK after modifying his method but more importantly I'm off to the labs tomorrow with a load of samples ... going to take Trilene XT & Daiwa Sensor as the main monos as I use them both and XT is big in the USA, plus a regular nylon mono

DG

[ 14. September 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]