A Blank Sheet

davidP

As I guess we all do, I find myself from time to time thinking about what I'd create if I had the opportunity to build a lake from scratch. I'm not think a commercial fishery here, just something that you could build and fish yourself. Also don't worry about the technicalities of building it, let's assume that everything you need is available and viable.

So what would you build? How big? How many pegs? What type of pegs? Depth? What would you stock? What would you plant? Go on, live your fantasy!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

My fishery would vary in depth between 15cm and 3m deep (summer levels), it would be between 5m and 20m wide, it would bave healthy weed growth, plenty of overhanging and fallen in trees, and you should be able to see the bottom in 1m of water (possibly more).

It would be as long as you like and with a flow rate in most stretches of between 0.5 and 2 metres per second.

Of course, most people call them rivers.

Peter

It would be in the middle of dense woodland, but more tropical woodland than your usual conifer stuff.

It would be shallow at one end, and deep at the other, and the water would be gin clear.

The lake bed would be gravel, or sand.

There would be a rocky waterfall at one end, a constant flow of water to keep the place oxygenated.

There would be weedbeds dotted around, that lovely flannel weed that feels like gooey silk to the touch.

There would be one pronounced gravel bar cutting through the lake, which would rise to just three foot of water so you could walk across the lake.

Each swim would be cosy, not too overgrown, but not too open either. Just enough room for a brolly and two rods. They would be reed lined or have those tiny little lilly pads.

The lake would be small, around 4 acres, and would have just four swims.

The carp would mainly consist of commons, but the larger fish would be big black mirrors.

I would also net the place after each years spawning , keeping the fry in a seperate stock pool till they hit 20lbs.

There would be a rota basis. One week of each month four anglers could use the lake. Then a different four, and so on. Totalling just 16 members? [excuse maths]

Two rod rule and no bans, just ask anglers to be sensible.

Any angler on the syndicate would require recommendation and would have to have some sort of angling background. No instant carp anglers allowed, if they haven't fished for other species in the past, they aren't allowed on the lake. Call me stubborn, but it's as simple as that.

There would be a close season.

There would be a hut with a fridge freezer, sink, shower and a telephone for emergencies.

Each swim would be named: "Woods's", "The Fall", "The Depths" and "The Shallows"

And, of course, no bait boats

Of course, most people call them rivers.

Peter

Only in the UK PeterJC. Elsewhere, creek or stream or something. But they are fun to fish by whatever name. :D

I'd love something around 200-300 acres. Depths from some very shallow parts to maybe 40 feet. Bottom of rock, gravel, firm clay, soft mud depending on the section of the lake and very irregular with deep holes scattered throughout. Weed beds and plenty of timber both standing around the lake and fallen into it. Very irregular shoreline with plenty of coves and pockets and the occasional island.

Some water flow at all times but nothing fast.

Boats allowed only with electric motors. No gasoline ones.

Swims where the trees and brush have been cleared enough to allow casting and a place to sit scattered around the thing.

Stocking (assuming it's in the area where I live and so mostly warmer water species) would be a balance. Largemouth bass and the 3 major catfish species for top preds, sunfish to eat and be eaten, carp for fun, crappie in case I ever wanted fish for eating, a few gar, buffalo, and bowfin just to keep things exciting and a variety of shad/minnow species so everyone can get enough to eat and the bug population stays low.

C&R only for specimen size of all species. Reasonable bag/keep limits for smaller fish.

Herons welcome; ducks welcome; raptors welcome. Geese and cormorants enter at your own risk. Duck hunting allowed in season but only at the shallow end of the lake and only from pre-dawn until 0800.

Snakes welcome and not to be harmed. Anglers who dislike snakes can fish elsewhere or only from a boat.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think I have it, an anglers heaven, right at the end of my garden! Basically a large broad full of big bream, a few large perch, masses of roach to feed the pike, cormorants (even though I'm very near the sea) are an extreme rarity, an excellent free house serving Adnams Broadside. I can turn right to an adjoining river with one or two surprises. It has thrown up the odd catfish to 60 pounds! Carp to 26 pounds and pike (now deceased) to over forty. Can go public now its dead and no, I never caught her. I go left and I can go to sea and catch a cod or two. Is it perfect? No, not quite. I share the water with others, generally an excellent arrangement! But I wish that all those who use it were all well educated in good angling practices and all applied said education. But thankfully the majority are, and do. I can sit in my wooden bivvy, within feet of the water-side, watching the sun set, enjoying the wildlife (adders and grass snakes included), catching fish, no blessed bite alarms (unless its mine!), or I can pootle out in my boat, and be in with a realistic chance of a good double figure pike. I consider myself a very fortunate person indeed.