Suggestions for fishing locations in Herts/Essex

Rich si

I have spent the summer fishing a lovely local club lake for carp and tench but this mornings cold weather has triggered a "Im want to fish a river this weekend responce in me"

Can anyone suggest a nice location for a spot of pleasure fishing in the Herts or Essex area please.

Im from Harlow so would ideally not want to travel anymore than 45mins to an hour to get there. Thanks in advance.

Well its the Lea and I have not seen them myself but I am told the bream are about between St Margarets and Rye House, they can be anywhere between above the bypass bridge below St Margarets and beyond the October hole to the concrete outflow about 600 hundred yards above Rye House bridge.

Early starts essential and look for bubbling on far bank, open end groundbait feeder with worm, red maggot or both generally catches them.

I am also from harlow and I have spent the summer on the River Stort around the side streams on Laton Lock and the weir pool upstream of the lock. It is all day ticket around there (but I have not seen a baliff all season). It is run by stort Valley Angling society and a season only costs 25 quid. I have had plenty of small to medium chub out of there plus roach to a pound, dace gudgeon and bleak. I have caught the odd small pike also but the signal crayfish can muller your dead baits. I prefer the river for general river fishing more than the Lea. Apparently there are carp, bream, and very big chub in this part of the stort but they have eluded me. No real Barbel history though.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/