Why I enjoy the Florida Panhandle - late September

Newt

Bankside on the Choctawhatchee River near New Hope, Florida in late September

Choctawhatchee-riverbank-late-september-2011.jpg

And the river after a really dry summer

Choctawhatchee-river-late-september-2011.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The river will be about 4 ft higher with normal Spring/Autumn rainfall and another 4-5 ft higher in Winter if we get much rain. Only the tops of the roots at the left of the top photo should be above water except during high summer.

The trees you see on the far side are willows which can tolerate being feet wet for long periods and grow fast when young. Those are young.

This is the lowest we've seen in the time we've lived here which is about 14 months.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The river will be about 4 ft higher with normal Spring/Autumn rainfall and another 4-5 ft higher in Winter if we get much rain. Only the tops of the roots at the left of the top photo should be above water except during high summer.

The trees you see on the far side are willows which can tolerate being feet wet for long periods and grow fast when young. Those are young.

This is the lowest we've seen in the time we've lived here which is about 14 months.

Newt

How has this effected the fishing? I f at all.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Tony U,

DOESN'T HELP! I fished the St. James in July after submitting to a cruise ship holiday with family. The St. James is a famous river in Florida (Jacksonville area). Not a carp stream so I was coarse fishing. Really a struggle by US standards. Shallow water can become WAY to warm in the summer in Florida.

Smoke from unchecked semi-tropical Florida forest fires was horrible. (Just my experience from this year.)

Phone

Tony - it slows the fishing way down but later when water gets higher and covers all the grass/weed/etc. that has grown up along the banks, things will pick up nicely. Meanwhile, this area is loaded with small lakes (10-40 acres) so I mainly fish still waters.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my dog for a run today and got more shots of the river while he was running and sniffing and generally doing doggy things.

Cypress tree roots

river-roots-2.jpg

Which the dog is convinced are his very own personal playground

river-roots-dog-1.jpg

river-roots-dog-3.jpg

The water goes from ankle deep to well over my head in only a couple of feet

river-creek-1.jpg

Flow from Pittman's creek that mixes with water from the main river about half way down this section

river-creek-2.jpg