smartcast FISHFINDER?

My-insane_M8

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we just have a rule that every specimen fish caught has to be fitted with a radio-transmitter tag? Then every angler could tell where these fish were, and save many wasted hours! I'm sure we have the technology to allow the fish to alter the signal to say 'I'm hungry' too..... Real fishing would become exactly like Game Boy fishing!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Pangolin, try to look past you're pre-conceptions. As has been pointed out we're talking feature finding now not fish finding. Any idiot can operate a marker float - it doesn't take any skill. Fishing does.

Paul

quote:

Tell me, Paul: your fish-finder reveals the perfect swim, but devoid of fish, and yet, in a highly unlikely swim, a shoal of fish. Where do you cast?
What 'fish finder' Pangolin? I'd be casting to the feature I'd quickly found and settling back, smuggly confident.

Paul

Guest sslatter

trent.barbeler:

Dear Graham,

Pike are brain food didn't you know?

Regards,

Lee.

Lol! Touché. :rolleyes:

It works very well Elton, but then again Ive been using one for 10 years on my boat.

I cant see why all these people are making such a fuss, as Ive said Ive been using one for 10 years but now with a smartcast I can use it on waters that I cant get my boat on.

There was an article on it in Midland Angler mag this month.

Pangolin - tell ya what; you avoid, eschew use of any echo sounders for your fishing. I will continue to use them when they help (or just when I get the urge).

My guess is that we will both enjoy our fishing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

OK by me, Newt! I would add that I don't have any problem with the use of echo-sounders for boat-fishing at sea, or in any of the very large inland lakes and lochs: those are big places, and there isn't time to explore them fully in a day's outing. What I'm making a fuss about, in my own small way, are the products such as those reviewed in Anglers Mail, last week: 'Hummingbird's wireless, hands-free, rod-mounted fish finder'. 'Neat little gizmos, ideal for the bank angler'. 'Simply tie a floating sensor onto a strong line, cast over the piece of water you want to examine... info relayed back to you, on a small screen, by your hands'. 'reveals features... and fish'. 'I suppose you could say it's an extension of polarising glasses, as it allows you to see below the water's surface'. 'At just over £100, these Hummingbird models are affordable...'. Yes, I could afford one, but using one would certainly take some of the pleasure out of my angling.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Pangolin - I'm not so sure it would detract from the fun you had fishing. It might but unless you've had a chance to play with one, hard to say for sure.

If you want to find out for sure, I'll let you know when we firm up plans for Jan (wife) and I to visit the UK next year and fish. I certainly plan to bring my rod-mount smartcast along. Dunno how much use it will see but I'll certainly have one along.

Earlier in this thread you asked Paul if he would fish nice structure devoid of fish or a less likely looking spot that the gadget showed to hold fish. I can say for sure I'd follow the fish but I'd also try to figure out why the fish and I disagreed on where they should be. I do that now and it adds to the fun for me.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President