Greys Prodigy Carp Rod 12ft / 2.5 lb TC

The Diamond Geezer

I would advise against buying Harrison rods that are factory finished as they are some of the worst I've ever seen. The handles in particular are appalling.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Sharpe:

I would advise against buying Harrison rods that are factory finished as they are some of the worst I've ever seen. The handles in particular are appalling.

Pete,

Thanks for that feedback.

???????????????????? dgvconfusedt.gif

Which 12 ft 2.5 lb TC carp rod do you use then, or recommend?

DG

[ 29. September 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Got a pair of the Prodigy 2.75's. Nice feel to them and as mentioned the guarantee is peace of mind. £15 to replace regardless of cause of damage. Unless you're gonna be casting to the horizon I think 3lb tc is a bit overgunned to be honest, but everyone has their own preferences, and confidence in your kit is half the battle.

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>

DG - my mate has Prodigys in 2.75lb T/C and they're well worth the money!

I have Giant's which have almost identical blanks and the same fittings which I picked up for a steal at £60 each - RRP £100+. I used to have Century AK47's and the Giants are far superior in every way.

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Ward:

DG - my mate has Prodigys in 2.75lb T/C and they're well worth the money!

I have Giant's which have almost identical blanks and the same fittings which I picked up for a steal at £60 each - RRP £100+. I used to have Century AK47's and the Giants are far superior in every way.

Thanks for that, Rob.

Re: Ant's comment "One thing that did put me off (slightly) was the blank. The butt section is fitted out beautifully with the carbon weave visable, but the top section is different as you can't see the weave. It almost looks like two separate rods.", do I take it that this hasn't bothered you or your mate?

Also, quite a few peeps have suggested that Matt Hayes TFG Whisper Carp (see here) is as good if not better. Do you know anything about the TFG Whisper?

DG

[ 01. October 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

To be honest I cant say I noticed on Marks rods. A lot of rods I've bought in the past have been like that and I dont buy crap!

Havent seen any TFG rods so cant speak for their quality. I'd avoid them personally - as much as I would a football shirt with Beckham written on the back if you can see my point.

I'd take a look at the Free Spirit range as well if I were you - I've heard very good things about these and the rods I've seen look to be of very high quality.

Just out of interest the TFG tackle range has been developed in partnership by Matt Hayes and UK rod design guru, Simeon Bond of freespirit, Very nice Rods ask woodzzz:D

Regards Tony

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

quote:

Originally posted by Tony C:

Just out of interest the TFG tackle range has been developed in partnership by Matt Hayes and UK rod design guru, Simeon Bond of FreeSpirit, Very nice Rods ask woodzzz:D

Regards Tony

Thanks for that snippet, Tony

BTW, didn't Simeon Bond used to be with ..... Shimano?

DG