Thames @ Cookham

Stig

Firstly, hi to all here as this is my 1st post to the forum!

Already seen some familiar names from otehr forums that I subscribe to, notably Apache (Matt) springs to mind.

Anyway, after a 20 year break, I had my first session last week on the free water stretch at Cookham. I tried the feeder stream and the slow water above the weir and other than an abundance of dace, things were pretty quiet.

I'm desperate to get into some decent sized Chub and was wondering whether anyone out there has had experience of this stretch and could suggest some likely swims?

Apparently the Thames at Whitchurch Hill is fishing well at the mo. so any suggestions for likely spots there would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that, good to be here :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stig, welcome to the forums :)

I can't help you with the Thames (too far away), but I'm sure someone on here will know about the place :)

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hi Stig

Yup, I fish the Thames a lot, including upstream of Cookham as well as much closer to London but not just free fishing, mostly on Club books.

Above Cookham etc it's been a tad hard-going this season so far but I have had some nice chub and perch out of the weir at Marlow and above.

The problem is getting down to the chub and perch through the smaller fish. Also chub are very easily spooked, even on the Thames, and so a very early morning session is required to catch the biggies.

I'm also in Reading DAA so I fish Mapledurham, Whitchurch, Goring, Wallingford etc. Whitchurch always looks good but I've never found it much cop, although I have to say I haven't fished it this month.

Marlow is a lot easier and closer. You could also shell-out for a day-ticket on the EA Hurley Lock fishery opposite Medmenham ... I've had some mega-chub out of the back-water

DG

[ 29. September 2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Cheers chaps.

DG - I know what you mean about the smaller fish, the Dace were scoffing the bait way before it was near bottom!

Didn't exactly promote our chances as my mate was stomping around on the bank like an elephant

Bit of an early start and some stealth tactics I reckon.

The weirpool looked promising, but the swims were already covered by other anglers.

I see you edited your post with more info!

I live in Sonning Common (not to be confused with Sonning) so all those runs are pretty local to me.

Just wish I had more time to be bankside :( Waited 20 years to drop another worm in and now I can't get enough of it!!!! :)

[ 29. September 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Stig ]

Stig:

I live in Sonning Common (not to be confused with Sonning) so all those runs are pretty local to me.

So what's wrong with the river and mega-weir at the Hotel at Sonning Eye. I fish (guest! :D ) there and it's great (beer's not too brill though :rolleyes: )

Suggest you should definitely join Reading DAA .. c'mon, don't be a tight-wad :D Then you'd have more rivers and lakes to fish than you could shake a stick at ... and you could fish the Loddon with MattyBoy (Apache)

DG

P.S. I'll try to dig-out and post a pic of a mega-chub ... watch this space, or one below it :D

Right, found one of Poledark's PB chub (not from the Thames though ....Poledark [Den]) is a Member here ... respect

[ 29. September 2003, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG - already ahead of you on the R&DAA front. Cheque's 'in the post' so to speak.

As I said, have only just taken up the sport again so am finding my feet again after a 20 year break!

Used to fish Sonning Eye quite a bit - river and the pit, so will be back to see what's changed.

Just getting my head around who controls which waters, so I can try them all :)

More of a river fisherman than stillwater, so, as you say, I'm spoiled for choice around our way.

Thanks for the good advice and maybe catch you on the bank sometime? :)

[ 30. September 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Stig ]

The pit at Sonning Eye is going through a lot of change Stig. They're dividing it into 3 with a rowing course through the middle or something :confused: The good news for the river there is, I believe, that there's plans for the overhead power lines to be sunk which will open up more swims. Haven't fished it myself but some people say it's a quality river venue. Check out the RDAA website for info on a new Thames venue at Cleeve, which can be night fished. Been some decent bags of fish taken, plus mid-double carp.

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>

quote:

Originally posted by Slyder:

... Sonning Eye ..... The good news for the river there is, I believe, that there's plans for the overhead power lines to be sunk which will open up more swims.
Haven't fished it myself
but some people say it's a quality river venue.

The Diamond Geezer:

what's wrong with the river and mega-weir at Sonning Eye. I fish there and it's great

DG

:rolleyes:

So I was backing up your view with anecdotal evidence, whilst provided some further info on the venue. Why the pointless icon? :confused:

[ 30. September 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Slyder ]

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>