river severn winter fishing

kleinboet

Can anyone help? I am about to start winter fishing in the severn at sandhurst. I thought I might try double maggot (on a 16 hook) with a ball sinker cast out into the middle of the river and allowed to roll round to the side in the current. Any other suggestions? Is this a good idea? :confused: :confused:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

As it's tidal there, personally I don't like to make things too hard for myself and so I tend to fish the non-tidal Severen & Avon above Tewkers.

I'd use a ball of meat paste instead of maggots, but of course it depends what you're after :rolleyes:

Lovely pike and zander there too

DG

The Diamond Geezer:

Lovely pike and zander there too

DG

Zander...Now there is a fish I have, since a lad I've wanted to catch and never managed.

...One day!

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Randles:

Zander...Now there is a fish I have, since a lad I've wanted to catch and never managed.

...One day!

You will, you will .... but I guess Old Bury Hill is nearest to you (not my fave zed venue :mad: ); alternatively there's Tewkesbury or on the other side of the country the Fens and the Cut-off Channel etc

bigzedatnightavon.jpg

I use dead freshwater baits, mainly sink & draw, but they will take lures, although my biggest fish have come on baits, usually at night BUT contrary to what you may have read, zeds wil take lures in bright sunlight and close to the surface .. I had 4 in a row one day in the Fens

Go for it ... and good luck

Try the day-ticket stretch at Twyford Farm on the Avon above Tewkers

Oh and if someone suggests the Gloucester Canal (as being closer) don't forget your Stanley Knife, because, for zeds, I've found it wrist-slashingly hard :mad:

DG

[ 19. October 2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Maybe I should put my original question diferently. I have always fished a flat maggot-feeder upstream but I am about to try this method of 'rolling along the bottom' or is there a better way? :confused:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription