advice on trent and barbel!

monkeyman

hi guys,

i know the trent quite well around the nottingham area for barbel, but it can be rather sparodic fishing,i want to take my 14 yr old son somewhere to catch is first barbel i fancy the tidal stretch's around newark especially around cromwell weir as i know this is a good place,do you know the best place? or how do i get there? can i night fish it? any help would very much appreciated j. :D:D

Unfortunately, many of the best areas are extremely popular, and you virtually have to queue to get one of the best swims. On the other hand, this must be extremely good news for the clubs, many of which seem to have relaxed their previous "No Night Fishing" policies - after all, they know when they are onto a good thing.

Crankley Point has to be one of the places where you are most likely to catch, but unfortunately, there are a few highly anti-social, so-called anglers, who seem to go there for the sole purpose of dumping their rubbish. There are several good barbel swims on the main river there, but it might be best to take a dog with you to ward off the rats (encouraged by the litter louts).

I would avoid Cromwell Weir, as it seems to have turned into a bit of a circus these days. There are a lot of barbel in the tidal river these days, and I have heard that they have now spread to miles downstream of Dunham. If you just desperately want to catch one then fish the Newark Dyke, but they must take a terrible hammering in there.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

hi maggot man (not mark:D) theres a part of the trent my brother fishes regular called nabbs island, do ya want me to get directions for ya, he night fishes it there and gets barbel from it, also big bream and some massive carp have been caught there,

Peter you make the Trent sound like a hell of a place to fish!

Rats, litter louts, queing for pegs! I it was like that I wouldnt fish it! The truth is thought that most of the barbel pegs on the trent seem to hardly ever fished! you just have to search them out from what i'm told. I have had winthorpe Rack mentioned to me as a good starting point for the barbel. Also the scrapyard in Newark seems to be highly recommended. I wouls suggest you start on the non tidal river with your son as it will be one less thing to worry about, the banks arn't as steep either so its generally safer for him.

Hope you catch

Mally

What on earth are these racks that are marked on the maps? Is is just a local term for a long, straight stretch? It's interesting that you should say that, because seven or eight years ago, a barbel caught from that length was something of a rarity but they seem to be all over the place now. The carp seem to have gone into decline though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I dont know what a rack is either, it just seems to be a word that is used for certain stretches of the Trent, I've had it suggested that it is possibly somthing to do with the boulders that line the banks?