I'll be spending a bit more time here

Rusty

Hello everybody,

I don’t often get over to this part of the site but the recent demise of the display on my brilliant (if old) little Ixus 700 has prompted a re-think about my approach to photography.

Previously I’ve been a compact point and shoot person, mostly when angling with the odd opportunistic shot thrown in. The Ixus has been great for that but I’d like to spend more time on photography and feel that something with a bit more capability would broaden my horizons.

After reading loads of reviews and seeking advice I’ll be taking delivery of a Nikon P7100 on Friday. I didn’t want a DSLR for fear of falling into the lens collecting trap (done that with centrepins) and having to lug around a large carry case. The Nikon seems a good compromise, small enough to go fishing with me and loads more capability than I have at the moment. The camera’s got more buttons and dials than I could shake a stick at so I’m on a steep learning curve but I’m really looking forward to finding out what it can do.

The first question I have is that of the memory card. I’m hoping that the 1Gb card from the Ixus will get me going but I’ve been told to get a 16Gb card with a 10 speed rating (?) particularly if I’ll be using the camera’s excellent video recording capability which I will be. Can somebody point me in the direction of a suitable card?

Secondly video editing software, I have zero experience of this and wondered if anybody could recommend something. I’m not too concerned about cost but beginner user friendliness is essential.

Thank you

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

If you don't want to do anything fancy, Windows Movie Maker is free and easy (assuming you're on a PC).

Thanks Steve, didn't realise that I already had that.

Rusty the 1 gig isn't enough especialy if you intend shooting in RAW.

Plus i think you have to remember that if you buy a 16 gig and it breaks down or you misplace you've had it, whereas if you have 4 X 4s or 2 x 8s you still have something in the bag.

For photo editing there are a raft of free programmes such as Picasa 3--PhotoFilter

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

A few pics of a recent Thames trip to give the new camera its first try. Other than the B&W shot I haven’t ventured away from the ‘Auto’ button yet, a bit of sharpening and red eye removal applied in Photoshop CS and that’s it.

I’m really pleased with them.

DSCN0044.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0065.jpg

DSCN0058.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0048.jpg

DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0072.jpg

Edited by Rusty