autumn/winter baits

Adam247

Hi all, am looking for some information for good bait for fishing this time of year as I know that fish go off the feed a little as the weather changes and temprature drops , i will still be using maggots red and white and worm but was more interested in larger baits such as corn, prawn etc ... if anybody can help broaden my knolage on sesonal changes for fish feeding .

also any advice on method feeder hookbait would help too , was thinking 5" hair rigged size 12 with a maggot clip or corn but would like more advice

many thanks all

Adam

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

In the colder months I don't tend use oily or fatty baits like Halibut Pellets and fatty Luncheon meat and rely on the really smelly baits that leak well even in cold water like Spicy, Chilli and Lamprey flavoured pellets coated with a soft fishmeal paste which disolves and creates a good flavour trail downstream. I also rely more on lively Redworms, maggots, Caster and Breadflake as most fish seem to prefer smaller baits (except for the greedy Chub of course which seem to continue to take large baits even on the coldest of days).

I also like using peeled Prawns for chub who still take larger baits even when the water is at it's coldest; however I make sure they are not the really cheap ones that a lot of supermarkets sell which have had all their juices boiled out of them; they need to have a bit of colour and flavour leaking from them before I will use them.

NB. For Chub (which have large cavernous mouths) I mount my prawns as in the diagram below with the hook shank running along the small groove in the back of the prawn; this seems to self hook in the Chub's bottom lip as soon as the bait enters it's mouth:.

PrawnMount.gif

Keith (BoldBear)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Sure, could you not use a suitably sized pellet band to attach a prawn to the hook? :huh:

You can do (instead of the line twists in the tail end) plus it also stops the line eventually kinking.

When I use twists of line I am continually having to re-tie the hook after discarding a couple of inches of kinked line above the hook.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Adam

I've read about hair rigged disks of punched bread. You can add as many as you like to increase or decrease the size of the bait. It swells up into a nice fluffy soft bait and is easy for the fish to eat. Its also cheap and readily available. I've used bread on canals in the winter for roach and bream and it seems to be ok.

Do you live in Kirkby. I was born and lived for 20 years on the Old Hall Estate. Where do you fish.

Regards

Rob

Adam

I've read about hair rigged disks of punched bread. You can add as many as you like to increase or decrease the size of the bait. It swells up into a nice fluffy soft bait and is easy for the fish to eat. Its also cheap and readily available. I've used bread on canals in the winter for roach and bream and it seems to be ok.

Do you live in Kirkby. I was born and lived for 20 years on the Old Hall Estate. Where do you fish.

Regards

Rob

Hi rob I live in northwood in kirkby and go to mill farm dam ( milly ) and I am also a member of a private club up in huyton headding towards halewood area, had a look at the small place up near the sonie factory and didnt like the look of some of the people if you know what I mean.

I know there is other place around but cant seam to get easy access to them unlike the two places I currently fish. and the bread method sounds good i may try that as a hook bait on the mothod feeder next time I get to wet a line ( looks like next week now ) do you still live around kirkby by any chance ?

tight lines all and thanks for the responses so far , would like as much input as possable as so i can make shure i dont blank on my next session

thanks again all

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

Hi rob I live in northwood in kirkby and go to mill farm dam ( milly ) and I am also a member of a private club up in huyton headding towards halewood area, had a look at the small place up near the sonie factory and didnt like the look of some of the people if you know what I mean.

I know there is other place around but cant seam to get easy access to them unlike the two places I currently fish. and the bread method sounds good i may try that as a hook bait on the mothod feeder next time I get to wet a line ( looks like next week now ) do you still live around kirkby by any chance ?

tight lines all and thanks for the responses so far , would like as much input as possable as so i can make shure i dont blank on my next session

thanks again all

I moved away over 20 years ago but my parents still live on the Old Hall Estate. So I go back quite often. I live in Birmingham now. My Dad fishes at a commercial at the back end of Tower Hill. Stopgate Lane I think its off. Its a typical commercial but seems like a good crowd when I've been there. Guy who runs it is ok when you go regular. He's helped my Dad a lot when he's struggling as he's getting on a bit and not as good on his feet anymore. Its good access for him as he can fish right next to the car.

Is mill farm the one in Tower hill (Mill Lane) i've heard reports of some decent fish but it used to be a complete "no go area" when I was there. You wouldn't walk past it never mind carrying fishing tackle or fishing. I was brought up on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and a few small farm ponds that have been filled in now.

Good luck with your fishing

Regards

Rob

If you make a lasso rig, you can use a wide range of baits, without changing anything. Prawns, bread, meat, pellet of varying sizes and so on.

Easy to make lassos with a float stop. Just make a big loop about 3/4s of an inch long and tie your hair as per usual and then slide a float stop onto the loop. You just put the loop round you bait of choice and loch in place with the float stop.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

If you make a lasso rig, you can use a wide range of baits, without changing anything. Prawns, bread, meat, pellet of varying sizes and so on.

Easy to make lassos with a float stop. Just make a big loop about 3/4s of an inch long and tie your hair as per usual and then slide a float stop onto the loop. You just put the loop round you bait of choice and loch in place with the float stop.

Thats fine Andy, but I just don't like using a hair when I am fishing for Chub in clear water ever since on several occasions I clearly saw a Chub picking up a piece of luncheonmeat in its lips and darting away from the main shoal (followed by others) before swallowing the meat, creating one of those real rod benders that don't result in a hooked fish.

Which is why I am not that confident when using a hair for Chub unless it is ultra short; especially in clear water.

Edited by BoldBear