The Marukyu Debate

bails

For those with a positive or otherwise view on the Marukyu range of baits, a new website has popped up giving information on what to use and how to use their baits.

Yes, they sell the stuff on it, but there is a fishing guides section which has most of their videos in it, but with quite a few other articles which are a good read. There is also a bait wizard, which works out an appropriate package, using the science to select the right bait for your conditions, where you input your water depth, season, target species etc. It can come up with a lot of bait when I've used it, but you have the option to remove some of the baits you don't want and you get some advice from one of their Pro Team with the results.

I also like the fact they sell Krilled maggots ready made, no messing about having to make them.

More importantly I found their first news article, which talks about how the scientific tests are done in the development of the bait a good read.

http://fishingbaits.biz is the site. It gives a bit more than the usual blurb.

Bails

Of course the big question is “why”. Do you think Marukyu answers that question? If we knew the answer to that question there would be but one carp bait wouldn't there?

“Hearsay”? I believe commercial carp farmers would not be hearsay. Hungarian experts would not be hearsay. FAO? Shall I go on and on? There is a lot of "good science" that pretty much proves carp like "everything" tossed at them - - - from time to time.

What is CM-MS? Maybe it is - The Crop Growth Monitoring System (?)developed by MARS Project provides the European Commission (DG Agriculture) with objective, timely and quantitative yield forecasts at regional and national scale. CGMS monitors crops development in Europe, driven by meteorological conditions modified by soil characteristics and crop parameters. Sounds cool though.

They use “comparative study”. If such studies were to be believed there would be only one bait – fishmeal. Thousands and thousands of such studies “prove” it is ALWAYS the first choice of carp. I can offer such results in controlled environment. The problem is in the number of variables that change “first choice”. Carp are essentially stupid. To say, “The reason being (for fish making different choices) that the chemistry of the water is constantly changing and so are the fish requirements regarding bait” is, until proven otherwise, marketing bunkum and TOTAL nonsense. To say, “…water quality at some fisheries in Saitama prefecture for the last 20 years” is meaningful is by their own admission useless to English anglers (unless the Englishmen are fishing in Japan).

JMO, I believe, for one, temperature is more than equal to water chemistry. Carp flourish (at the expense of all other species) in some pretty chitty water in the US.

I’d be most interested to see what the “government participation” is in this free enterprise product (they can pay universities).

Some things in the “news release” are valid. At the end of the day, nothing beats a “side by side” comparison. Of the 69,736 flavorings and combinations of base and attractants I now have on file I truly believe all will catch carp. Which one will be “best” on a given day is determined by “the day” (thousands of variables) and the carp - not the bait. They, carp, eat darn near anything.

BTW, It has been my “non-scientific” observation that in competition the top 5% of “best anglers” catch 80% of the specimen fish. The angler fits into the equation to a greater extent than most “bait manufacturers” wish to acknowledge. No mention is made of “watercraft”.

As they also say, it is also important to record “each cast”. No sense fishing if you don’t have fish in front of you. Carp, by scientific review, can be drawn from great distances with attractants. But it is “better” if you have fish in front of you to begin with.

I do believe this is probably a darn good commercial product. I doubt there are any scientific breakthroughs. I doubt there is anything dangerous to carp in them. I suspect they are using "top quality" agricultural products.

I'll stop for now. It is obvious you can tell I'm not sure there is a "perfect" carp bait as yet been discovered.

Phone

All,

The above reply ONLY applies to carp. Don't much about non-carpy species. Not even sure why this is in the "coarse fishing" section. I know the bait products are cross-over but are at least "pointed toward carp.

Phone

Phone

Phone, it's in the coarse fishing section, because it refers to coarse bait.

I am a Marukyu fan as I've had more success with their bait this summer than at any time over the rest of my 25 years of fishing. I put this down to the fact I've spent the time to understand the bait and how to use it. I have caught Bream. tench and loads more Carp of than ever before.

That doesn't mean I am suggesting it is catch all bait.

With regard to carp and different types of bait, there are many more articles across the site which I found an I interesting read this article for example actually agrees with some of what you are saying.

http://fishingbaits.biz/news/what-boilie-f...t-time-of-year/

There is loads of stuff on Marukyu across the web, including on this forum. I have seen loads of debates on the stuff and I thought the site gave a balanced view...

Where in the US do you fish by the way, and what species do you catch?

Bails,

I'm sure you've selected a fine bait company. They are by no means fly-by-night. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them personally. They are in the business of selling bait, not catching fish.

I am a carp fisherman. Pretty much only a carp fisherman any more and don't really care if I catch one of them. Just as long as I can still go. I am very lucky (in many ways) to be able to fish throughout the US. My favorite however is right here in Missouri, my home. The most productive water I fish is either the St. Lawrence Seaway New York or Toledo Bend Texas.

I was equally lucky to be part of a (1972 - 92) $6 million dollar project to "discover" the perfect carp bait. Several products came to market, none were "satisfactory" IMO. While I know a lot about carp (the fish), I know a lot more about the "fishermen" than I know about their quarry.

BTW, The worlds "best" carp fishermen are in North Carolina (based on money changing hands). They are called "paylakers". Play with google if you REALLY wish to learn more about carp bait.

Phone

Cheers phone..

I have a look across google.

I'm sure I'll have some time fishing in the US at some point in my life.

In the near future it is likely to be a visit to Disney World etc if I get across as I have a young family.

I did however have a bash at sea fishing once off Clear Water beach, Florida, however that would be for another forum.

Bails,

I envy the life you have ahead of you. Good luck in your endevors.

You'll have to touch up Newt for sea fishing. I can't cpell calt.

If you Google "paylaking" and need translations just ask. They talk even funnier than a Brit. Paylaking is quite different fishing than European/British style of carp fishing but they have some "sound" (and proven) ideas. It dates from the 1930's and is a form of gambling based on your success fishing in WAY over stocked carp ponds (sound familiar?). B I G bucks change hands daily.

The main difference is that it is also high speed catching and "to fish at range" is about 30 yards maximum. They even have their own reels (and rods). Look at Abu Carpmaster.

Phone

Edited by Phone