Swimming Squirrel?

Jeff S

Yesterday i saw a bird of some sort in the river. I was swimming with speed in about 1ft of water, but i lost sight of it and never saw it come up for air :confused: . On Monday i was fishing a carp pool (caught 12 carp) and heard a funny noise, like bricks grinding together. I looked around and about 2m from me the ground was bulging. Something was under the ground about to surface. I stood up to get a closer look and the ground settled. I never did find out what it was. :confused:

Its all part of the fun of fishing.

Back down at the river this morning near the swim where Secret Squirrel took his dip the other day. I didn't get to see him this time. There was evidence that he had been there. He knocked a tree over.

A day of relaxation or so I thought. Within four casts I had a perch and small pike. So then after setting the timer on the camera taking pictures, and releasing them it settled down long enough to get the mackerel out in the water. Right. Time for coffee. Nice and hot... down goes the coffee.. there's a run already. Reel down, set the hook. YES! Nice and heavy, good fight, taking line yeah, then nothing. Well at least he left the bait. Back in the water it goes. Oh yeah, back to the coffee.... another run.. What is going on? I've never had a day like this. Same thing, then nothing. It settles down again, so I finish my cold coffee and start tossing around a gold spinner. Bang straight away I hook into another small pike AND while reeling that one in I get another run on the mackerel. So I net the small one, unhook and release, then run to the other rod. Reel down, set the hook, yep still heavy. Netted a nice pike about 26" long. So I take a picture, get it back in the water and toss the mackerel out again. It was like this for about 4 hours. I would cast around with my lure and watch the other rod. Then I would let the swim go for a bit then cast some more.

I caught 4 pike between 5 and 10 lbs on the gold spinner and had a final screaming run on the mackerel. I had set it on free spool just in case. I'm glad I did. I didn't even get a warning tap. The line just started going and no matter what I did it wouldn't stop. Whatever it was, it was kind enough to leave me with my rig.

I also find it difficult to get fish unhooked, photographed and released. Anyone else have the same problem?

So my question is....

Why can't everyday be like today? :D:D

[ 01. November 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Dvarcet ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Koi Carp:

Yesterday i saw a bird of some sort in the river. I was swimming with speed in about 1ft of water, but i lost sight of it and never saw it come up for air :confused: . On Monday i was fishing a carp pool (caught 12 carp) and heard a funny noise, like bricks grinding together. I looked around and about 2m from me the ground was bulging. Something was under the ground about to surface. I stood up to get a closer look and the ground settled. I never did find out what it was. :confused:

Its all part of the fun of fishing.

Probably a mole!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A couple of years ago on the Severn I watched a squirrel jump in and swim across, tail spread out behind it. The river was in flood and I thought it would never make it but it didn't have a problem. The current took it about 30 yards down stream but it hopped out and up atree on the opposite bank!

I seen a squirrel swimming on the Lower Bann about a month ago. Again At first I thought it ws a mink but the tail was too big. It then proceeded to get out of the river and scamper up the tree between myself and the next peg. :)