Pike fishing

davedave

I went Pike fishing yesterday for the first time, and really enjoyed it.

Before I go out on my own i'll go back again once more with my experienced mate and his dad like I did yesterday.

I've been looking up all sorts of pike stuff on the internet, and i'm sure you're all sick of answering questions for people starting piking, but it'd be really useful to build up some knowledge. So here are the questions that are confusing me:

1. Can I use normal carp style bobbins when legering, and if so do I do as if carp fishing or do I need to change anything?

2. How much are sprats?

3. How long does the trace need to be, and does it vary on whether you are legering/float fishing/spinning etc?

4. I have been shown a basic float rig, what is the best type of float for small rivers and lakes?

5. What is the difference between a pike rod and a carp rod?

6. What size landing net will I need, any recommendations (preferably cheapish)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I go out on my own i'll go back again once more with my experienced mate and his dad like I did yesterday.

I've been looking up all sorts of pike stuff on the internet, and i'm sure you're all sick of answering questions for people starting piking, but it'd be really useful to build up some knowledge. So here are the questions that are confusing me:

1. Can I use normal carp style bobbins when legering, and if so do I do as if carp fishing or do I need to change anything?

Yes you can. Might need to add a bit more weight to them but they're fine.

2. How much are sprats?

About £2 a kilo from the fishmarket.

3. How long does the trace need to be, and does it vary on whether you are legering/float fishing/spinning etc?

Any kind of bait fishing, ideally 18"-24"...for spinning 12"-18"

4. I have been shown a basic float rig, what is the best type of float for small rivers and lakes?

A slotted gazette bung or the Drennan Pike wagglers are pretty useful.

A pike rod tends to have a softer action for coping with the weight of the lead and the bait combined. Also, a stiffer rod would likely cast the bait right of the hooks. Some carp rods are fine for pike fishing, so long as you aren't planning to hit any real distance.

As big as possible. You don't want to try fitting a 40" pike into a trout pan.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Thanks Andy that's really helpful :)

Especially with the bobbins, the dropback ones look confusing so it's good to know I can use my same bobbins and alarms. Although one website I was reading said to never rely on the alarm and to always watch the bobbin like a hawk which I suppose is a good idea to avoid deep hooking.

Thanks again

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

No idea, never used 'Carp Bobbins'. A cork with a split in the top and a bite alarm work well for me if that helps?

2. How much are sprats?

Not much. Depends where you get them from I'd guess.

For lives/deads, I plump for 18". For luring I use 12".

Anything with decent body, be it a beefy pencil float or the more traditional 'Gazette Float'. I'd shy away from partially loaded ones myself though.

Carp Rods are very similar and will do fine in many situations as substitute Pike Rods. However many Pike Rods generally have either a higher test curve or a more powerful mid-section to allow lobbing out large dead/livebaits. I think on the small rivers and lakes you mention above, you'd be ok with a standard Carp Rod though.

EDIT: Forgot the softer action bit...

I just use a carp net, 30" triangular. eBay...

I have started to 'hand' mine out when I can. Not really good advice for a beginner, but when you have learnt to hold a Pike properly to unhook, its fairly easy. First time is scary though!

Not comprehensive I'm afraid Dave, but I had a go!

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Again very useful, thanks Renrag :)

How is the night luring go? :P

:P On lates at the mo, will let you all know when I go, (or keep deathly quiet if half my collection ended up a tree) :lol:

I hope it works for me, or I'll look a complete wazzok!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Haha best of luck to you, how are you planning to do it? :g:

Dave

I'm gonna shove a starlight up a 3" Kopyto's @rse and hope for the best tbh! :D:P

Told you it was cunning :lol:

Renrag

I would allways advise against using carp type indicators.They simply don't show drop backs that well and you cant fish an open bail arm with them (some thing I strongly reccomend doing) The indicator to use is the time proven and simple rear mounted drop off indicator.No need to spend a fortune as a good one is very easy to make-

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/artic...e-workshop.html

2. How much are sprats?

Cheap as chips from most supermarkets that have a wet fish counter.However they are small (unless your lucky!) and due to this can be prone to being swallowed quickly.They are also very soft and dont cast very far without breaking up.Far better (from the supermarket again) are the smaller mackerel,sardine and herrings when in that can be used whole or if they only have the big ones then cut them in half (both halves are just as good). Supermarket "baits" are normally cheaper and far superior to the same found in tackle shops!

3. How long does the trace need to be, and does it vary on whether you are ledgering/float fishing/spinning etc?

Due to various rigs used the "safe" minimum length of trace for bait fishing does vary but if you make sure that there is always a minimum of 18" of wire (regardless if this is the hook trace alone or combination of hook trace and an up trace) you wont go far wrong. If your using a lure then I still wouldn't go much shorter as Ive had lures (and quite large ones at that) engulfed and taken right back.

Depends on lots of things Dave to be honest,type of rig type of bait etc. Start of with some simple set ups like a float ledgered dead bait,a free roving bait and a free running ledger rig.You can find some of these in the AN Rigs Section.With suspended baits its simply a case of using the smallest that will carry the weight of the bait and lead.With a float ledgered dead then use a bottom only "waggler"/Pencil type float (don't use loaded or self cocking ones they are pike killers) once again large enough to see easily but not to large to cause a lot of resistance.Think of the float ledgered dead as using the "lift method" but bigger.Floats are a great bite indicator.......................but only if constantly watched.

Pike rods are normally of a slower taper (more of a compound to through action) than carp rods.This is to make casting big and often delicate baits easier.A high test curve carp rod normally has to fast a taper and will "rip" baits off. But we are talking extremes here and to get you going your carp rods will do fine. Use at least a 2 1/2lb TC rod though as remember you will be often casting 10 ozs or more with the weight of the bait plus the lead. The higher power also helps set the hooks in the pikes very hard mouth.

A 36" round net or a 42" triangle are the safest starting point (the round is actually a lot easier to use) You can pick one up for £25 or so Ebay/second hand.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!