General Coarse Feeder rod for large Rivers

barbelbarmy

What is the best CURRENT feeder rod on the market?

I am looking for something for general coarse fishing on the river trent which may be required to cast a large feeder to the far bank.

Would it be better to have a second rod for close in lighter tactics?

Not really worried about price just out of touch with the best makes as been using my Greys prodigy barbel for all my ledger and feeder work for years now and could do with something more suitable for Roach and Bream.

Also my wife needs ideas for my crimbo list.

What is the best CURRENT feeder rod on the market?

I am looking for something for general coarse fishing on the river trent which may be required to cast a large feeder to the far bank.

Would it be better to have a second rod for close in lighter tactics?

Not really worried about price just out of touch with the best makes as been using my Greys prodigy barbel for all my ledger and feeder work for years now and could do with something more suitable for Roach and Bream.

Also my wife needs ideas for my crimbo list.

I'd keep my eyes open on the net for a drennan im8 super feeder in 12 or 13ft.

These are good n'all...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daiwa-Connoisseu...=item2316936694

I am familiar with the Trent and long range feeder fishing.

The big questions are:

What sort of weights are you intending to cast?

What mainlines are you expecting to use?

What stretches ar you fishing (tidal, non-tidal)?

Do you expect to encounter barbel?

Thanks Tigger

Why do they all seem to have gone over to having only two sections?

Does anyone know how many sections in the preston carbonative 11/13ft?

Also looking at shimano speedmaster or beastmaster and the maver powerlite feeder system. Does anyone know what any of these are like?

Thanks Tigger

Why do they all seem to have gone over to having only two sections?

Does anyone know how many sections in the preston carbonative 11/13ft?

Also looking at shimano speedmaster or beastmaster and the maver powerlite feeder system. Does anyone know what any of these are like?

I think the beastmasters where good, but the daiwa in the link is better :). I've used that model of daiwa and it was excellent. I let a friend have mine several years ago which I regret.

Hello Ravey,

For some reason your reply wasn't showing last night.

I fish the trent between Burton on Trent and Swarkstone. If i'm expecting Barbel i'll use the prodigy rod. This rod will be more for other species.

I was wondering whether two rods would be better. A 11ft for close in and smaller feeders and a 13ft for further out/far bank with larger feeders to hold bottom. I usually use the Drennan with interchangeable weights. Not sure of weight now without getting all my gear out.

Main line about 6lb max but usually 4lb as will use the prodigy if expecting something bigger.

What are the 11/13 rods like?

I spend most of my time trotting so feeder fishing is something I tend to do when weather conditions are poor or simply when taking a break / having a cuppa.

'Your' stretch will be classed as 'upper' Trent. Swarkestone and Shardlow are very close to me, although I have little experience of fishing them. It is quite narrow - nothing like as wide as the river downstream of Nottingham which is where I am most 'at home'. The far bank is only a lazy flick, but I appreciate that the flow can be strong.

Most of my fishing is done below Nottingham. I generally use 5, 6 and 8 pound Maxima mainlines with hooklengths ranging 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 pound Daiwa TDR rig line. My usual choice of rod is one of my Daiwa 11/13s - Whisker Kevlar and Amorphous Whisker (heavy version). I don't use mine at 11', but this might be a useful option for you on the narrower river. There are other options open, but if money is not a consideration, then a Daiwa 11/13 would be ideal (they still fetch good money on ebay). I am sure other manufacturers offer something suitable, but can only speak for the stuff I use. For lighter work - 5 pound mainlines, 3 - 5 pound hooklengths, then an old TriCast quiver/feeder rod fits the bill (casting weights 0.5 - 1.5oz).

Don't rule out the Daiwa Porky Pig, either. I can recommend the 12' or 12'2" versions with a heavy carbon quivertip; they did do a hollow tip version as well, but the quiver version will be more than adequate...

Hope this helps.

PS the only reason I use 8 pound mainline is so I can raise the hooklength strength accordingly if barbel are likely to be caught