Vista help or is it XP help

Colin Brett

As my original thread has been hijacked by our colonial friends ;) ;) ;) I'll try again with a separate thread :D

Rec'd a request from an Irish lady friend today, can anyone help please

Hi Colin– having start up problems on my Vista computer – wondered if you’d heard anything about it?

Once I manage you get it going it works fine but have to power off once or twice before it boots up properly.

Ann

After passing on a few ideas to my friend I received this today:

Talking of which – I had been looking at the disks that came with the desktop – and they are what I’d based by computer info on – I’d not simply gone to the screen and looked to see what was running – lord knows why . . .

Anyway – the upshot is that the computer says its running on – Windows Vista Business Version 6 Service Pack 2 32 bit!!!!!!!!! BUT - the disks that came with the set up are –

Operating system – Twinload CD/DVD

Microsoft windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Drivers & Utilities Esprimo Support for Windows 2000 and XP 32 bit/64 bit Operating system – Recovery DVD

Windows Vista Business

All are Fujitsu Siemens supplied.

Don’t quite know what to do now. I’d got the desktop from the bloke in Westport car park [this actually a shop] but ages ago.

Ann

Anyone care to advise?

Colin

Colin the thread wasn't hijacked , you didn't respond for 8 days. :rolleyes:

The thread evolved as it were like all other threads.

One does apologise for ones indiscretion :rolleyes:

Cheers Fred

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Once I manage you get it going it works fine but have to power off once or twice before it boots up properly.

Details on "properly" would help. Exact behavior and any error messages. What we know now is like the "which rod will be best for me" questions when there is no information about where and what they fish for.

Once we sort out hardware vs. software issues it will be possible to give reasonable advice.

If your friend wants to back up to XP after all is said and done, that should be easy enough but will totally wipe out the current contents.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Details on "properly" would help. Exact behavior and any error messages. What we know now is like the "which rod will be best for me" questions when there is no information about where and what they fish for.

Once we sort out hardware vs. software issues it will be possible to give reasonable advice.

If your friend wants to back up to XP after all is said and done, that should be easy enough but will totally wipe out the current contents.

Sorry Newt, you must remember I'm trying to deal with a lady who has no idea of computers or software.

I think the clean install is going to be the way to go or buy a copy of WIN 7 but I'd guess the machine won't have the capacity to run it.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the reply.

Colin

you must remember I'm trying to deal with a lady who has no idea of computers or software

Been there, done that. I often wind up suggesting they take the ailing machine in to a PC shop where it can be properly sorted out.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President