questions about wels part 2

gaza

here we go for all you fans of catfish what do you wish to find out about the anatomy of cats or there feeding habbits, how they breed. and how they live there lives through the difficult times of floods in the rivers and lakes how to catch them. what method to use and when to present baits on the surface and on the bottom. :)

fishing guide for catfish and carp

gaza i was watching a program on sky tv about fishing in spain for cats and was thinking about taking a week or so over there as it looked like good fishing and BOY did those suckers fight on average they were catchin 100lber's so my question is what area's do you think would be best to fish?

ian

if i recall correctly, when matt hayes, mick brown did a prog on cat fish, they suspended a whole tin of luncheon meat from a tree branch using light line, then this was attached to the rod/line, so when the fish took the bait, the line attached to the tree snapped, and became playable with the rod.

the tree method was supposed to work as the roots provided cover, and looked a likely spot.

have never fished for them myself, but am aware that they prefer it an night (it is a pussy after all ;o])

hope this helps

chris

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

Hello Gary

A couple of questions:

1: its been a bad couple of years for fishing in ireland on the whole, due mostly t the weather, do you think the same , what with the freak floods , has effected the cats over there.

2: do the cats feed heavily on the mullet in the delta?

3: are the mullet and good for livebaits?

4:whats the biggest cat you have seen in the flesh?

cheers

ADAM

with all due respect lufc i cannot see what this to do with the anatomy of the catfish but here goes when i firt started to go over there i fished the delta region.with great sucsses and this was only down to keeping it quite.there are many places to travel to some say the mecca of catfishing is the ebro all the way along the catfish are all over the place so if you want to be mobile then i will try to help please pm me.would you be travelling down or up with car or flying as you may need some help with directions and where to stay on the po or the ebro.

***********************************************(chris the fish) this method is related to the bouy rig and has been proven to be one of the most deadliest methods around.... in the right hands it would and has been possible to land over a ton of fish you must get the depths right this is very inprortant a fish finder and a boat will help as i cannot see you swimming accross.you must have at least double the lenght of weak line than what your overall lenght of your rig from float to bottom hook so allow for this when tying off to trees and bouy rigs about 8lbs to 10lbs line will be suffice ......always remove the line from the trees later to avoid distress to small birds and reptiles of any discription as they may get tangled up in the line left by some careless anglers.

hi adam.the adverse weather conditions have affected some parts of the river sytems in europe but when there are so many dam constructions all the way down for example the rive ebro this affects diffrent parts at diffrent times for example if you hold the water back above the dams for a ceratin period of time this will allow the water temps to rise where as the water that is rushing into the upper reaches of any system will have a diverse affect if you was fishing on the lower reaches the overall adverse affects of fishing will not be felt as much due to the sea temps and the temps of the actual water when it eventualy reaches the lower regions the temps will be higher therefore not as adverse as above the dams...good question adam you got me thinking again oh no off to do some more studies now note pad out

the catfish do feed very heavily on the mullet down on the lower regions. there are litteraly thousand of them.they have become the staple diet of most of the larger fish they can be used as bait live, or packed dead baits and the biggets catfish i have seen on the surface of the water and so close to the boat only meters is well over 200lbs. biggest i have held is 167.00lbs.

:):):)

chris the fish i forgot to tell you one of the new crazes for catfishing in trolling or plugging the bank from a boat. this method is now taking a lot of fish from all oer europe the italian lads have been fishing this method john would you like the exact loaction or just that it was in the river. well i suppose i will tell you then amposta area towards tortosa campredor to be exact outside the big white house next to the tree that overahngs there just down from the water pumping station on the left when you come down the river from tortosa. now you know you can go and fish for that beastie. :):):) cheers gary

Gary

You did not need to be so precise with the location as I said I had a genuine reason for asking

As you know I have fished the Amposta area a fair bit and I have been told by a couple of people who fish there all the time they have seen a seriously big Cat rolling several times in various locations a few miles upstream from Amposta

These are people who have had Cats up to almost 150lb so they would know a big Cat if they saw one

the questions i hope do not stray to far from the anatomy of cats and there feeding habbits as i was trying so hard NOT to get away from the idea of helping people understand the overall impression and learning about the habbits of catfish there anatomy and how they breed.and feed.please e-mail me if there are questions about cats not relating to there feeding eating and breeding habbits or for other reasons or pm me anytime people.

Hi all

Am I missing something here?

Why should someone be volunteering to answer questions that no one has asked? :confused:

I,for one, couldn't care less about Catfish so why not conduct this limited debate by private Email?

Is there some other agenda here? :confused:

DF

[ 29. November 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: dogfish ]