setting up a new pole

AndyM

Ok, I've now got myself my first pole and need alittle advice on how I'm going to rig up each of the kits. The pole came with 2 match top 3's and a power 2 rated upto 16 elastic. I was going to get a tackle shop to rig them up first time round (don't fancy chopping them up myself at this stage), so any advise as to what elastics to ask them to put in each kit etc. would be appreciated.

The pole is 11.5m if it makes a difference.

I've mainly been doing canal fishing since my return to the sport, with some stillwaters as well, fishing for roach/perch/rudd/skimmers upto 1lb, plus tench and bream upto 5lb (although I know there are bigger fish in there). I've not fished a carp pool yet (or not on the float anyway, used my feeder or carp rod with method feeder instead) but I suppose that's what the power kits for and I am likly to try one or two out in the new year so might try the pole on them.

On a second note, are there any good videos/DVD's which would help me gain a grounding in pole fishing that you would recommend?

Thanks.

[ 26. November 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: AndyM ]

AndyM:

On a second note, are there any good videos/DVD's which would help me gain a grounding in pole fishing that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Hi Andy,

I found the following Videos useful.

Pole Fishing - Mark Downs

On the Cut with Dave Roper

Dickie Car Fishing on Canals

All produced by Clean River Fishing.

These may be available on hire from one of your local tackle shops.

Good book, "My Way With The Pole" by Tom Pickering

I found this excellent and gives full instructions for a good introduction to pole fishing.

Before any smart-arse asks what do I know about pole fishing :D I've been at it for over 15 years. I've done well in canal matches, instructed many kids into the art, particularly with whips (I have a large collection)(again - no comments please :P )as I find kids can enjoy fishing better without problems of reels to start with. They get great satisfaction on catching fish on pole rigs they tie themselves. Also, I was once employed by Preston Innovations as a pole rig tier.

Tight Lines,

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

Untill you gain enough expeience to form your own views I would suggest that 3,6 and 12 would cover most needs.Hope fully the shop you get to do it could give you better advice based on local knowledge.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I agree with the comment about the Book "my way with the pole" by Tom PIckering.

I am shocked that its still published! Great book.

Old but worth the £7 (Amazon)

A more modern book is Bob Nudd's illistrated guide to Pole fishing, this is EXCELLENT for the beginner as it is FULL colour and a great how to elasticate a pole guide.

Get both books and you will be geared up for pole fishing in no time!

Also working progress is my site's pole fishing section

Take a look at the work so far

my pole fishing guide

Its FAAARRRRRR from being finished, but i update it at least once a week!

That reminds me!

Lee Wood

My anglersnet gold award winning website:www.fishyworld.co.uk

Hi Andy. I saw today in T.J Hughes ( I think you know where that is a video on Carp Angling with the pole, by Bob Nudd and it was only £3.99 its an hour long. They also do other angling titles. I bought some myself...

Been in Gilders loads of times, they know me now!

Tight lines

lancslass :D