Article In The Times - Tories/Angling

Elton

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of a tax on rod buying is unworkable. To someone like me, who buys a lot of fishing tackle, it would be bloody expensive, too! And what about secondhand rods? If you buy one off your mate? Or build your own?

Existing rod licence is fine, but I agree that sea anglers ought to pay too - then at least they have a weapon in their struggle against netsmen.

Fenboy

Aye, the administrative overhead of checking/issuing (or not) a licence based on rod purchase would be unacceptable.

I agree though, that (economic arguments notwithstanding) it would be great to find a way to dissuade the "cowboys" from becoming involved in angling.

But we all know that it ain't just new/casual anglers that are the source of litter, unacceptable behaviour and rule breaking.

We should have to earn our rod licence, in my opinion.

But then again - there are for more "anglers" than there are licenced anglers...

Don't see why sea anglers are exempt from the licence obligation either, and a lot of the sea anglers I know would happily buy if there was a demonstrable benefit in paying up.

[ 28. August 2004, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: KK ]

Keith

Blyth

Northumberland

http://www.northeastangler.co.uk

Broadly speaking I can't remember things being any different when Thatch and her successors were in charge, and as a civil servant of 26 years standing, I'm more sensitised to the whims of politicians than most (mainly because of the "rightist" idea that sacking civil servants to pay for tax cuts to get the buggers elected is good politics).

And it's the Tories that are pushing this issue this time.

Keith

Blyth

Northumberland

http://www.northeastangler.co.uk

fenboy:

Too true, Keith. Why is it that there's always some do-gooder who wants to complicate life by changing an existing system that works well. I blame Blair's Nanny State... for most things.

Be honest Fenboy, its all Mrs Thatcher's fault!

I distrust most politicians of all persuasions. I used to think Labour MPs were more HONEST than most... but I've been forced to revise that opinion during the reign of Tony.

At least Maggie was honest. Brutal, but honest.

Trouble is, there ain't a political party I feel comfortable with... there isn't a leader who makes me think: "Yep, his views are my views".

Disconcerting, I reckon.

Fenboy

Anyone getting a blank page - The Times site requires cookies for some reason, so it's probably down to that. I dropped my firewall and saw the article.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE