Home-made lure

Nodin

Nodin:

By the way, I've leant recently, that contrary to the pike that siezes the minnow, the pearch comes close and,using its gills to suck the minnow in. For this reason, the say, its preferable to use suspended on split ring hooks with wool or threads, that easily gets into predator's mouth at this suck-in.

The freshwater black bass takes prey that way. Amazing to see how much force they can generate to pull prey into the mouth. Even more amazing to see that they can pull a lure in, decide it is not food, and spit it out without the angler ever knowing there was a fish in the area.

I've never tried mounting the hook with thread or wool but it does sound like an interesting idea.

Do you have access to the circle hooks? They look odd but those of us who have used them find they are very effective at hooking fish and not so effective at hooking underwater obstructions.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President