Trebles for carp

Guest Richard Capper

Guest Richard Capper

Has anyone else tried using a small treble hook for carp rather than a single hook? The hook always finds a hold everytime! Anybody?

NO please: NO NO NO..... if the line snapped there is a chance a very good chance that the treble hook would stitch up the carps mouth/throat so the fish would be unable to feed. Also theres more chance of one of the points finding a snag or weed. John

Guest spindle

And apart from anything else, with the right setup - eg. using a line aligner, etc. it's absolutely and totally and utterly and completely un-necessary. And probably banned by most, if not all angling clubs.

It used to be something that was used years ago - I believe BB used trebles for example when fishing with potato. But then they also used to gaff and "glass case" the fish they caught.

No. Stop it. It's bad. One hook. Barbless if possible. Not Trebles. Not Doubles. OK?

Originally posted by happychef:

DON'T BE SO F*****G STUPID !

ANGRYCHEF.

..Errr, Happychef, perhaps a little strong?! wink.gif

Richard, with all due respect, trebles are more suitable for what I would call, Preditor fishing, not Carp.

Using the correct (single) hook, and tied correctly, you should pretty much get a hook hold every time with Carp.

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 07 September 2001).]

Guest Richard Capper

Well now I've got your attention, I must agree I think treble hooks ae barbaric and have no place in modern fishing. Double hook rigs also can leave a hook waving around the fishes head during the fight, totally unacceptable in my opinion.

HOWEVER pike anglers use both these setups! Whilst I'll agree that it is mighty difficult to fish a large fish bait without them I think they are just dangerous and thus i have given up fishing for pike like that until I can find another method.

I just find it intresting that to use these methods for carp is to unleash anger from previously happy chefs yet for 'predators' it fine!

Guest phil dean

Having not ever had a problem getting a pike off trebles, and bearing in mind that pike have hard mouths and take such a large bait at such funny angles that it could be lost easily, using semi barbless trebles for pike is not a problem to me.

Carp have softer mouths, and tend to be caught on baits which are taken fully into the mouth, therefor single hooks are more appropriate,

double hook rigs are used usually where I am taking fish for the table therefor any short term problem (if any.. I've not had one) is soon dealt with when the fish...be it mackeral cod or trout..is dispatched.

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest spindle

It is a fair point I suppose. It is possible for these reasons that Pike anglers invariably recommend strong (15lb+) line and wire traces at all times. Theoretically you could catch large pike on lighter tackle just as you can with carp, but due to the dangers of the trebles the stronger tackle is recommended.

I ALWAYS flatten the barbs down on trebles, or better, change them (on spinners/lures) to barbless.

I don't use trebles for gudgeon. Ever. Their mouths are far to small wink.gif