stupid questions

si robson

Three stupid questions. (only been fishing three months)

1 can i use a hair rig on a pole (looking for bigger fish)

2 why do carp stop feeding when it rains

3 my pole is rated 16/18 elatic whats the biggest fish i could safely land

thx for any help

simon

Not stupid questions at all :)

Yes, you can use a hair rig on a pole. There is one minor mistake most pole users make - you don't have to limit yourself to pole floats, you can use normal wagglers and other floats with great success....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

3 my pole is rated 16/18 elatic whats the biggest fish i could safely land

thx for any help

simon

There is no such thing as a stupid question, but maybe you should rephrase Question 2 as "Why do I stop catching carp when it rains?" I'll guarantee that if you look around the fishery, there will be someone who is still catching! Why haven't the carp in front of him "stopped feeding"?

The other two questions are also not stupid, but they are a bit depressing. I can't help thinking you've missed the point of fishing! Try to find it before all your gear goes on Ebay next year ;)

I have heard one theory and it is that because the lateral line of a fish is obviously sensative to sound and vibrations the rain creates a whole mess of noise and vibrations that they dont enjoy. Maybe during this time they are unable to sense a predator?

Could be a load of rubbish but it sounds reasonable.

Simon these are not stupid questions at all, so don't get put off asking such questions matey :) .

1. can i use a hair rig on a pole (looking for bigger fish)

Yes especially when fishing for Tench, Carp etc. which feed by blowing and sucking up baits from the bottom as apposed to physically picking them up in their lips. and fish slightly over depth.

2. why do carp stop feeding when it rains

Carp do not always react in this way, in fact one of my most productive carp sessions was during the night in one of the most fiercest and wettest of thunderstorms (back in the fibre glass rod days); the Carp where almost climbing up the rod.

However they may react differently in an unexpected downpour for the reasons that fruitloopy said.

3. my pole is rated 16/18 elatic whats the biggest fish i could safely land

This depends on how experienced you are with the Pole and what type of water you are fishing (how much weed and other snags etc.).

I have landed Carp of up to 18lb on the Pole using this strength elastic but you could probably land Carp of around 10lb fairly easily if your Pole is up to it. when you hook a big Carp which runs it sometimes pays to lower your pole tip under the water giving sideways pressure, this sometimes stops them, Read up on articles written by people who are more experienced than me with the Pole.

Tight lines.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)